Seeking free software for animal behavior tracking

In summary: Good luck!In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a free program to conduct behavioral tests on rats. The person is looking for a program that can track two rats simultaneously, analyze their movement and time spent together, and possibly provide statistical analysis. The person suggests using ImageJ, an open source software, or potentially programs from Noldus or the National Institutes of Health. They also mention that there are user groups and plugins available for ImageJ. The conversation ends with a question about which program can specifically analyze rats' behavior, to which the expert suggests that it is the person's responsibility to determine that and wishes them luck.
Eagle9
Good day guys :smile:

I need to conduct the behavioral tests on rats. I need some free program for social behavior; the program should be able to track two rats simultaneously, their movement trajectories and time spent by these animals when they are close or far to each other (and to analyse the results statistically if possible, however this is additional requirements. At least the program should be able to track the rats). Which program would you advise me? The Dutch company “Noldus” offers us good programs, but they are not free of charge. I have heard that some such programs are developed by the National Institutes of Health, but I could not find anything at their web-site. Can you help me? :rolleyes:

Biology news on Phys.org
I am no expert on this, but I know people use ImageJ (the java descendant of NIH image) which is free from the NIH for a variety of imaging purposes. When photoshop was young, NIH Image was a free alternative to it (developed by someone in the NIH I think). Perhaps that is what you heard about.

It can be programed to do a lot of stuff, there are a lot of user generated plugins for it, and I would assume there are user groups also.
It has been around for years.

Eagle9 said:
And which program among these can analyse rats' behavior? :cool:

That's what you are for, I guess...

Likes BCHC

1. What is the best free software for animal behavior tracking?

The best free software for animal behavior tracking is highly subjective and depends on the specific needs of the researcher. Some popular options include EthoVision, Noldus Observer, and BORIS. It is important to research and compare different software to find the one that best fits your research goals.

2. Are there any limitations to using free software for animal behavior tracking?

Like any software, free animal behavior tracking software may have limitations in terms of its features and capabilities. Some may have a limited number of animals that can be tracked at once, or may not have advanced analysis tools. It is important to carefully evaluate the features and limitations of a software before using it for your research.

3. Can free software for animal behavior tracking be used for any type of animal?

Most free software for animal behavior tracking is designed for a specific type of animal, such as rodents or insects. However, there are some more general programs that can be used for a variety of species. It is important to check the specific software's capabilities and determine if it is suitable for the type of animal you are studying.

4. Is free software for animal behavior tracking as accurate as paid software?

The accuracy of free software for animal behavior tracking can vary depending on the specific program and its features. In general, paid software may have more advanced algorithms and analysis tools, but free software can still be highly accurate and reliable. It is important to carefully evaluate the accuracy and reliability of any software before using it for research purposes.

5. Can I customize the tracking parameters in free software for animal behavior tracking?

Many free software programs for animal behavior tracking allow for customization of tracking parameters, such as defining specific behaviors to track or adjusting the sensitivity of the tracking. However, the level of customization may vary between different programs. It is important to research and compare different software to find one that offers the level of customization needed for your research.