Details regarding Legendre Polynomials

In summary, the domain of {-1,1} for Legendre polynomials is due to the singularities at x = \pm 1 which limit the domain of validity. However, in practical applications, this domain is not limiting as the equation can be transformed to fit other domains. The Legendre polynomials are an extension for any complex n, but only polynomials for integer n. Transformations can also be used to change the variable from x to d, but this will still result in the same domain of {-1,1}. Legendre polynomials can also arise as P_n(\cos\theta), where \theta \in [0,\pi], making the argument of the polynomial naturally fall within the domain of {-1,
MathewsMD
I just had a few questions not directly addressed in my textbook, and they're a little odd so I thought I would ask, if you don't mind. :)

-Firstly, I was just wondering, why is it that Legendre polynomials are only evaluated on a domain of {-1. 1]? In realistic applications, is this a limiting factor? Is there a way to find solutions for a larger domain?

-Why exactly must n > -1?

52bff80109b66b45a6fb0ea62522a03f.png

Is there a particular reason why it's only evaluated for these values of n? Is there an another approach for n < -1? Also, must n be a a non-negative integer or can n be any real number greater than -1?

-Is there a relatively short proof to prove ## \int _{-1}^1 P_m P_n = \frac {2}{2n+1}; m = n ##? All the ones I've seen are quite long and tedious, and are not as intuitive as the other case for ## m \neq n ##. I was just curious since I could not seem to find one.

Also, as a side question: what exactly happens to matrices that undergo elementary row operations? I know the column space is distorted and the row space is intact for elementary row operations, but what exact properties are now the same and different between a matrix A and a matrix A' derived from elementary row operations on A?

Also, why is it necessary Legendre polynomials pass through the point (1,1)? Why is this point unique?

Sorry for the questions! A few that were just lingering in my head that I wanted to address. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're asking a lot of questions, and they're not all related. Legendre polynomials are pretty common, and a quick google search will provide more details than I can in a short response. Also I recommend looking into Sturm-Liouville theory. Many of your questions touch on ideas relevant to Sturm-Liouville, and they apply not only to Legendre polynomials, but also many many other commonly encountered special functions.

MathewsMD said:
-Firstly, I was just wondering, why is it that Legendre polynomials are only evaluated on a domain of {-1. 1]? In realistic applications, is this a limiting factor? Is there a way to find solutions for a larger domain?

At [itex] x=\pm1 [/itex] the nature of the differential equation changes drastically. If we expand out the equation we get
[itex] \left(1-x^2\right)\frac{d^2}{dx^2} P_n -\left(2x\right)\frac{d}{dx}P_n +n\left(n+1\right) P_n =0 [/itex]
we see that the coeficent infront of the second derivative is zero at [itex] x=\pm1 [/itex]. These points are singular points. The singular points bound the domain of validity of our solution. (Solutions normally can't cross singular points).

In practice the domain in not very limiting. Often when we encounter Legendre equations we have performed a transformation of variables such that [itex] x=\cos{\theta} [/itex]. The the domain of {-1,1} is a natural choice.

MathewsMD said:
Is there a particular reason why it's only evaluated for these values of n? Is there an another approach for n < -1? Also, must n be a a non-negative integer or can n be any real number greater than -1?

The Legendre functions are an extension of Legendre polynomials for any complex n. The functions are only polynomials for integer n. For negative n when can transform the equation using k = -n - 1. This transformation will yeild a Legendre equation for k, with [itex] k\ge 0 [/itex]. This implies that [itex] P_{-n-1}\left(x\right) = P_n \left(x\right)[/itex].

Likes MathewsMD
MathewsMD said:
are only evaluated on a domain of {-1. 1]? In realistic applications, is this a limiting factor?

If you had real life problem where a quantity like distance d varied between 120 meters and 300 meters, you could define a linear transformation between the variable d and a variable x so that x varied between -1 and 1. It would amount to picking a new origin for the zero of distance and picking a new scale of distance instead of using meters. A theme in physics is that if an equation describes a physical law correctly in one system of units of measurements, it is still valid when you transfom it by changing the units. You could also take the approach of transforming Legendre polynomials in x to different polynomials in the variable d.

Likes ZetaOfThree and MathewsMD
Stephen Tashi said:
If you had real life problem where a quantity like distance d varied between 120 meters and 300 meters, you could define a linear transformation between the variable d and a variable x so that x varied between -1 and 1. It would amount to picking a new origin for the zero of distance and picking a new scale of distance instead of using meters. A theme in physics is that if an equation describes a physical law correctly in one system of units of measurements, it is still valid when you transfom it by changing the units. You could also take the approach of transforming Legendre polynomials in x to different polynomials in the variable d.

In addition, Legendre polynomials frequently arise as [itex]P_n(\cos\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta \in [0,\pi][/itex] is a spherical polar coordinate, so the argument of [itex]P_n[/itex] is naturally in [-1,1].

Stephen Tashi said:
If you had real life problem where a quantity like distance d varied between 120 meters and 300 meters, you could define a linear transformation between the variable d and a variable x so that x varied between -1 and 1

I'm not sure that this is true for the Legendre equation? The domain of validity of the Legendre polynomials is limited by the singularities at [itex] \pm 1 [/itex]. If you linearly scale [itex] x[/itex] the location of these singularity will scale similarly. Thus the domain of validity scales too!

Another way to think about this is to consider the leading coefficient [itex]\left(1-x^2\right) [/itex]. If you transform [itex]ax = x' [/itex] then this coefiicent in your new equation will be [itex]\left(a^2-x'^2\right) [/itex]. Your new equation will only be a Legendre equation if [itex]a=\pm 1 [/itex].

Are you talking about scaling measurements of d to a new value x or are you talking about introducing some scaling factor into the polynomial? If you scale measurements of d into a scale for x that varies between -1 and 1, you don't need to do anything to the polynomial because you are working with x in the polynomials.

Outside of x between -1 and 1, the Legendre polynomials are functions of cosh(x), per my well worn copy of Lebedev, Special Functions & Their Applications.

Ahh, I think we are talking about slightly different things and we should be careful.

1) I'm talking about solving the different equation:
[itex] \left( 1 -x^2\right)\frac{d y^2}{d x^2}-2x\frac{d y}{d x}+ l\left(l+1\right)y=0[/itex]
on a domain [itex]\left[ a, b \right] [/itex]. Here the domain is critical. Unique solutions exist as long the domain does not cross the singular points [itex]\pm 1 [/itex].

For instance the domains [itex]\left[ 2, \infty \right] [/itex] and [itex]\left[ -.9, .9 \right] [/itex] have unique solutions, but these solutions won't necessarily be Legendre polynomials.

However the domains [itex]\left[ 0, 2 \right] [/itex] and [itex]\left[ -2, 2 \right] [/itex] are problematic. Here a linear change of variables won't fix the problems.

2) There is a second problem. If you have a signal over a domain [itex]\left[ a, b \right] [/itex] we can analysis this signal using Legendre polynomials by linearly transforming the domain to [itex]\left[ -1, 1 \right] [/itex].

1. What are Legendre Polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are commonly used in mathematics and physics to solve various differential equations. They are named after French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre, who first introduced them in 1782.

2. What is the significance of Legendre Polynomials?

Legendre polynomials have many important applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to solve boundary value problems, as well as to approximate functions in numerical analysis. They also have applications in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.

3. How are Legendre Polynomials calculated?

Legendre polynomials can be calculated using the recursive formula or by using the Rodrigues' formula. The recursive formula involves a series of calculations using the previous terms in the polynomial sequence. The Rodrigues' formula involves a single integral calculation.

4. What is the relationship between Legendre Polynomials and the Gaussian distribution?

Legendre polynomials are closely related to the Gaussian distribution, also known as the normal distribution. In fact, the first few Legendre polynomials can be used as basis functions to approximate the Gaussian curve. This relationship is important in statistics and data analysis.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Legendre Polynomials?

Yes, Legendre polynomials have many real-world applications. They are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They can be used to solve various differential equations, model data, and approximate functions in numerical analysis. They also have applications in signal processing and image reconstruction.