Detector Characterization Uncertainty -Poisson

In summary, the individual is trying to characterize two lots of detectors by retrieving their mean cross section and standard deviation for a proton beam. They have 12 detectors for each lot and have made measurements at different energies. They have collected more than 6000 counts for each measurement and are now calculating the mean and standard deviation for each group of measurements. They are wondering if their process is correct and if they should use a Poisson distribution instead of a Gaussian distribution. It is recommended to check for significant differences within the groups of detectors and a Gaussian distribution is suitable for 6000 events.
kitepassion
Hi to all,

I have the following problem: I want to characterize two lots of detectors in order to retrieve their mean cross section and standard deviation for a proton beam. For cross section I mean the number of counts respect the fluence of particle (fluence = integral of the particle flux over the time).
Now for each lot of sensor I have 12 detector. For each detector I made some measurements at different energy. For istance 3 measurements at 30 MeV, 10 measurements at 60 MeV and so on..
For each measurements more then 6000 counts were collected.
Now I want to calculate some meaningful parameter to characterize the detectors.

What I did was to collect all the measurements carried out at the same energy but on different detectors belonging to the same lot and calculating their mean and standard deviation as a gaussian distribution. Now the 1-sigma standard deviation could be called uncertainty?
Is the process correct? Am I missing something?
Should I use a Poisson distribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
What I did was to collect all the measurements carried out at the same energy but on different detectors belonging to the same lot and calculating their mean and standard deviation as a gaussian distribution. Now the 1-sigma standard deviation could be called uncertainty?
Looks reasonable. The uncertainty comes from statistical fluctuations and differences between your detectors. It would be interesting to see if those differences (within your groups of 12 detectors) are significant.

Should I use a Poisson distribution?
For 6000 events, a Gaussian distribution is fine.

1. What is detector characterization uncertainty?

Detector characterization uncertainty refers to the inherent variation or error associated with a specific detector's ability to accurately measure and detect certain properties or phenomena. This uncertainty can arise from various factors such as the detector's design, calibration, environmental conditions, and statistical fluctuations.

2. How is Poisson distribution related to detector characterization uncertainty?

Poisson distribution is a statistical model commonly used to describe the random variation in the number of events occurring within a specific time or space. In the context of detector characterization uncertainty, Poisson distribution is used to model the statistical fluctuations in the detector's measurement results due to the random nature of signal generation and detection.

3. Can detector characterization uncertainty be reduced?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate detector characterization uncertainty, it can be reduced through various methods such as improving the detector's design, optimizing its calibration, and minimizing external factors that may affect its performance. Additionally, using statistical techniques and analyzing a larger number of measurements can also help reduce the impact of uncertainty.

4. How is detector characterization uncertainty quantified?

Detector characterization uncertainty is typically quantified by calculating the standard deviation or the standard error associated with the detector's measurement results. These metrics provide a measure of the variability or uncertainty in the data and can be used to determine the confidence level of the measurement.

5. Why is it important to consider detector characterization uncertainty?

Considering detector characterization uncertainty is crucial because it provides a realistic assessment of the accuracy and reliability of the detector's measurements. Without accounting for uncertainty, the results may be misleading or incorrect, which can have significant implications in scientific research, industrial processes, and other applications where precise measurements are essential.