Determinant of 3x3 matrix equal to scalar triple product?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of the determinant of a 3x3 matrix as the volume of a parallelepiped and the use of scalar triple products to show the determinant. The individual steps and notations used in the calculation are also discussed.
Erithacus
The determinant of a 3x3 matrix can be interpreted as the volume of a parallellepiped made up by the column vectors (well, could also be the row vectors but here I am using the columns), which is also the scalar triple product.
I want to show that:
##det A \overset{!}{=} a_1 \cdot (a_2 \times a_3 ) ##
with ## A = \begin{pmatrix} a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\ a_{31} & a_{32} & a_{33} \end{pmatrix} ##

I started to develop det A like this:
## det A = a_{11} (a_{22}a_{33}-a_{23}a_{32})-a_{12} (a_{21}a_{33}-a_{23}a_{31})+a_{13} (a_{21}a_{32}-a_{22}a_{31}) ##

With ## e_i ## as unit vectors, this should equal:
## det A = a_1e_1\cdot (a_2 \times a_3)e_1-a_2e_1\cdot (a_1 \times a_3)e_1+a_3e_1\cdot (a_1 \times a_2)e_1 = a_1\cdot (a_2 \times a_3)-a_2\cdot (a_1 \times a_3)+a_3\cdot (a_1 \times a_2) ##

With the rules for cross products I get:
## det A = a_1\cdot (a_2 \times a_3)+a_1\cdot (a_2 \times a_3)+a_1\cdot (a_2 \times a_3) = 3 \cdot a_1 (a_2 \times a_3) ##

Shouldn't I get only ## a_1 (a_2 \times a_3) ##? Not times three. Please, can someone say what I am doing wrong? Or is it right? In that case, how should I interpret it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Erithacus said:
With ## e_i ## as unit vectors, this should equal:
## det A = a_1e_1\cdot (a_2 \times a_3)e_1-a_2e_1\cdot (a_1 \times a_3)e_1+a_3e_1\cdot (a_1 \times a_2)e_1 = a_1\cdot (a_2 \times a_3)-a_2\cdot (a_1 \times a_3)+a_3\cdot (a_1 \times a_2) ##
Your notation here is not very clear and likely the reason you are not getting the correct result, what do you mean by ##a_1 e_1 \cdot (a_2\times a_3)e_1##? The vector structure here makes no sense.

what do you mean by ##a_1 e_1 \cdot (a_2\times a_3)e_1##? The vector structure here makes no sense.

Thank you for answering!
My thought was, that to get ##a_{11}## I could do the multiplication
## a_1 \cdot e_1 = \begin{pmatrix} a_{11} \\ a_{21} \\ a_{31} \end{pmatrix} \cdot \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} = a_{11} ##

And for the first row in the cross product I do the same thing:
## (a_2\times a_3) \cdot e_1= \begin{pmatrix} a_{12} \\ a_{22} \\ a_{32} \end{pmatrix} \times \begin{pmatrix} a_{13} \\ a_{23} \\ a_{33} \end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} = a_{22}a_{33}-a_{23}a_{32}##

Or doesn't it work like that?

Last edited:
Erithacus said:
Or doesn't it work like that?
It does, but you must be careful because you are mixing different types of multiplications. The quantity you call ##a_1e_1 \cdot (a_2 \times a_3)e_1## should really be ##(a_1\cdot e_1)((a_2\times a_3)\cdot e_1)## and is not a triple vector product. It is the product of two numbers.

The quantity you call ##a_1e_1 \cdot (a_2 \times a_3)e_1## should really be ##(a_1\cdot e_1)((a_2\times a_3)\cdot e_1)## and is not a triple vector product.
Okay, I see. Can I get around that or do I have to use a completely different approach to show what I want to show? Could I use the Levi-Civita symbol and do it all in components?

You can write ##\vec a_i = a_{i1} \vec e_1 + a_{i2}\vec e_2 + a_{i3}\vec e_3## and just perform the triple product. Of course, this is equivalent to doing it in components using the Levi-Civita symbol.

1. What is a scalar triple product?

A scalar triple product is a mathematical operation that involves three vectors and results in a scalar value. It is calculated by taking the dot product of two vectors and then cross multiplying the result with the third vector.

2. How is the determinant of a 3x3 matrix related to the scalar triple product?

The determinant of a 3x3 matrix can be calculated using the scalar triple product of the column vectors of the matrix. The magnitude of the scalar triple product is equal to the absolute value of the determinant.

3. Can the determinant of a 3x3 matrix ever be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a 3x3 matrix can be negative if the scalar triple product of the column vectors is negative. This indicates that the matrix has a negative orientation.

4. What does the determinant of a 3x3 matrix tell us about the matrix?

The determinant of a 3x3 matrix tells us several things about the matrix, including whether the matrix is invertible, the volume of the parallelepiped formed by the column vectors, and the orientation of the vectors.

5. How is the determinant of a 3x3 matrix used in real-world applications?

The determinant of a 3x3 matrix is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to calculate quantities such as the moment of inertia, electric potential, and magnetic flux. It is also used in computer graphics and image processing to transform and manipulate images.