Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinant of density matrix

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why is the determinant of a mixed state density matrix always positive?

In the specific case of a 2-dimensional Hilbert space, the density matrix (as well as any other hermitian matrix) can be expressed as

[tex]\rho=\frac 1 2 (I+\vec r\cdot\vec \sigma)[/tex]

so its determinant is

[tex]\det\rho=\frac 1 4(1-\vec r^2)[/itex]

We have [itex]|\vec r|=1[/itex] if and only if we're dealing with a pure state, so we seem to need the condition [itex]\det\rho\geq 0[/itex] to see that the set of mixed states is the interior of the sphere rather than the exterior.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2
    I think that if you have mixed states statistical operator you have

[tex]{\hat{\rho}}^2 < \hat{\rho}[/tex]

and of course for statistical operator [tex]Tr\hat{\rho}=1[/tex] and [tex]\hat{\rho}^{\dagger}=\hat{\rho}[/tex]

I think that from that three conditions you have [tex]det\hat{\rho}>0[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. Nov 3, 2009 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, but now I have two problems instead of one. I don't see why [itex]\rho^2<\rho[/itex] for mixed states. (Do you mean that all expectation values of [itex]\rho-\rho^2[/itex] are positive?) I also don't see why these results imply that [itex]\det\rho>0[/itex].

5. Nov 3, 2009 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

The "state operators" in the original post don't necessarily qualify as such...

Summarizing from Ballentine section 2.3 (pp 50-51)...

An acceptable state operator (a) has unit trace, (b) is self-adjoint, and
    (c) satisfies [itex]\langle u | \rho | u \rangle \ge 0[/itex], for all [itex]| u \rangle[/itex].

Property (b) implies that a state operator's eigenvalues [itex]\rho_n[/itex] are real.

Property (c) implies that a state operator's eigenvalues must satisfy [itex]\rho_n \ge 0[/itex].

Hence the determinant is real and non-negative, being the product of the eigenvalues.

[EDIT: Removed unnecessary silly mistake herein noted by Fredrik in post #5 below.]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  6. Nov 3, 2009 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you strangerep. That was surprisingly simple (at least when I only consider finite-dimensional Hilbert spaces, but that's the case I'm interested in for the moment). [Edit: Removed comment about silly mistake in #4 :smile:]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  7. Nov 4, 2009 #6
    Just to show c)

[tex]\hat{\rho}=\sum^K_{k=1}w_k|\psi_k> <\psi_k|=\sum^K_{k=1}w_k\hat{P}_k[/tex]

and

[tex]\left\langle \psi_n\left|\hat{P}_k\right|\psi_n\right\rangle=||\hat{P}_k\psi_n||^2[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook