Determinant of matrix with Aij = min(i, j)

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter nedf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Determinant Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
nedf
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Given a n x n matrix whose (i,j)-th entry is i or j, whichever smaller, eg.
[1, 1, 1, 1]
[1, 2, 2, 2]
[1, 2, 3, 3]
[1, 2, 3, 4]
The determinant of any such matrix is 1.
How do I prove this? Tried induction but the assumption would only help me to compute the term for Ann mirror.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
From each line subtract the line immediately above it.
 
I will get this?
[1 1 1 1]
[0 1 1 1]
[0 0 1 1]
[0 0 0 1]
How do I prove that this matrix has same determinant as the original one?
 
nedf said:
I will get this?
[1 1 1 1]
[0 1 1 1]
[0 0 1 1]
[0 0 0 1]
Yes.

nedf said:
How do I prove that this matrix has same determinant as the original one?
Subtracting another line is one of the elementary row operations and is known to preserve the determinant.