Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determination of atomic bases in unit cell using Wien2k

1. Aug 19, 2014 #1
    After specifying the primitive vectors of a structure namely (a,b,c) in Wien2k, one has to specify locations of atoms in unit cell.There are three components X,Y,Z which determine the atom location. I want to know whether "X,Y,Z components" are corresponding to vectors a,b,c or they are components of the cartesian system? In other words If we have a typical (X,Y,Z), dose it means that atom location is r=Xa/a+Yb/b+Zc/c or r=Xi/a+Yj/b+Zk/c?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
  4. Aug 27, 2014 #3
    I don't know Wien2k, but the usual convention is to specify XYZ in units of the unit cell vectors abc.

An easy way to check is to use a small, primitive low-symmetry cell, calculate whatever you calculate, and then to double a lattice parameter and add a basis e.g. at (1/2,0,0) for a-->2a. The result should be the same.

If not, you are not using the correct convention.
  5. Sep 1, 2014 #4
    Yes. you are right. I found that XYZ are in units of abc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted