1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determination of charge/mass value in E field.

1. Jun 17, 2006 #1
    I've been trying this out many times I just couldn't get the answer, I hope someone could help me out here.

A stream of nuclear particles are travelling horizontally at 3.9 X 10^6 ms^-1 are deflected as it passes through a vacuum between 2 parallel plates which are 5mm apart and 40mm in length. The P.D between the plates is 3000V and the angle of deflection is 4.3 degrees. Calculate q/m of a particle.

My working:

I first found out the field strength between the plates: dV/dr = 3000/0.005 = 600000 Vm^-1.

Then the time for which a particle is between the plates: 0.4/3.9 X10^6 = 1.0256 X 10^-7 s.

To find acceleration of a particle vertically downwards in terms of q/m would be => qE = ma, => a=qE/m = 600000q/m.

Horizontal velocity is after it leaves the E field would still be 3.9 X 10^6, while vertical velocity is vertical acceleration multiplied by the time, => (6.15 X 10^-3)(q/m) ms^-1.

I've found all I could, how can I solve for q/m? I tried using the equations for linear acceleration but they all consists of q/m on both sides which I cannot make the subject to determine the value.

Any help much appreciated.

alvin

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2006 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

tan(4.3) = vy/vx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?