Determination of % Comp of Al/Zn Alloy

In summary, the lab attempted to determine the percent comp of an alloy from the volume of hydrogen that was produced in the reaction. Data showed that water was not pushed by the exothermic reaction, but by evolving gas. Volume of water displaced equals volume of produced hydrogen. PV=nRT should give you number of moles of hydrogen.
monkeysmine

Homework Statement

The purpose of the lab is to determine the % comp of an alloy from the volume of hydrogen that is produced in the reaction.

We did a lab, in which an alloy was reacted with hydrochloric acid, in a test tube with a stopper and tube leading to a 500ml sidearm flask, with a clamp on the tubing. The sidearm flask was filled with water, and stoppered with a tube going into a 400ml beaker.

Assuming that the experiment was done correctly, the water from the flask was pushed into the beaker by the exothermic reaction.

DAta:
Pressure = 762 mmhg
Temp = 21.4C
Mass Alloy Trial One = .1229g, Trial Two = .1251g
Volume water produced T1 = 131.5ml, T2 = 140 ml.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. =/

I calculated the amount of hydrogen produced, by calculating percent H in H20, and I got
14.61ml H2 gas for Trial 1, and 15.56ml H2 gas for Trial 2

I don't know where to go from here though.. any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the relevant reaction equations displaying the products and reactants.

Zn + HCl -> ZnCl2 + H2
Al + HCl -> AlCl3 + H2
if all I can think of..?
But I don't know how to calculate the amount of hydrogen produced. I know the hydrochloric must be the limiting reagent, to ensure complete reaction, but further than that, I'm stumped.

To be sure that reaction proceeded to the end, hydrochloric acid has to be in excess, sot it can't be a limiting reagent.

If I understand your description correctly, water was not pushed by 'exothermic' reaction, but by evolving gas. Volume of water displaced equals volume of produced hydrogen.

PV=nRT should give you number of moles of hydrogen.

Let's take a look at the first trial. Assume there were xg of Al in your sample. If so, there were (.1229g-xg) of Zn. Can you devise a formula that will let you calculate amount of hydrogen produced as a function of x?

Ummm...

Would (.1229-x gZn)(1mol/65.4gZn)(1/1) = 4.54
(x gAl)(1mol/27.0gAl)(3/2) = 4.54

be the right equations?

No idea what 4.54 stands for. And note, that you are interested in TOTAL amount of hydrogen, from both reactions.

Ah.. the five-day weekend has completely crippled my brain :(

I think I meant .00545, which is the moles of hydrogen produced from PV=nRT (762mmhg)(.1315L)/(62.4mmhg*L/moles*K)(294.4K).

I obtained .1315L as the amount of H2 produced, since volume water displaced = volume h2 produced.

Er. So if I let x = gAl, and .1229-x = gZn, then ((.1229-x)/MZn)(stoichiometric ratio) + (x)(stoichiometric ratio) = .00545 moles H2 produced, and solve for x?

monkeysmine said:
((.1229-x)/MZn)(stoichiometric ratio) + (x)(stoichiometric ratio) = .00545 moles H2 produced, and solve for x?

Apart from faulty details and unchecked numbers that's the correct idea.

Um which details are faulty?

monkeysmine said:
(x)(stoichiometric ratio)

But you did it OK in the other half of the equation, so that's probably just overlooked.

Oh! Whoops my bad!
Thanks so much for your help, by the way!
Much Appreciated :D

1. What is the purpose of determining the % composition of Al/Zn alloy?

The determination of % composition of Al/Zn alloy is important in understanding the properties and characteristics of the alloy. It allows scientists to know the exact amount of each element present in the alloy, which can affect its strength, ductility, and corrosion resistance.

2. How is the % composition of Al/Zn alloy determined?

The % composition of Al/Zn alloy is determined through a process called chemical analysis. This involves dissolving a sample of the alloy in a suitable solvent and then using various techniques such as titration or spectroscopy to determine the concentration of each element present.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of % composition determination?

The accuracy of % composition determination can be affected by factors such as the purity of the alloy sample, the precision of the analytical techniques used, and any potential contamination during the analysis process. It is important to use high-quality materials and follow strict laboratory protocols to minimize these factors.

4. Why is it important to know the % composition of Al/Zn alloy?

Knowing the % composition of Al/Zn alloy is crucial for quality control purposes in manufacturing processes. It allows for the precise formulation of the alloy and ensures consistency in its properties. It is also important for research and development purposes, as the % composition can be adjusted to optimize the alloy's performance for specific applications.

5. Can the % composition of Al/Zn alloy change over time?

The % composition of Al/Zn alloy can change over time due to environmental factors such as exposure to moisture and air. This can lead to the formation of corrosion products on the surface of the alloy, altering its composition. Regular analysis and monitoring of the % composition can help identify any changes and prevent potential degradation of the alloy's properties.