1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determination of % Comp of Al/Zn Alloy

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The purpose of the lab is to determine the % comp of an alloy from the volume of hydrogen that is produced in the reaction.

We did a lab, in which an alloy was reacted with hydrochloric acid, in a test tube with a stopper and tube leading to a 500ml sidearm flask, with a clamp on the tubing. The sidearm flask was filled with water, and stoppered with a tube going into a 400ml beaker.

Assuming that the experiment was done correctly, the water from the flask was pushed into the beaker by the exothermic reaction.

DAta:
    Pressure = 762 mmhg
    Temp = 21.4C
    Mass Alloy Trial One = .1229g, Trial Two = .1251g
    Volume water produced T1 = 131.5ml, T2 = 140 ml.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to start. =/

I calculated the amount of hydrogen produced, by calculating percent H in H20, and I got
    14.61ml H2 gas for Trial 1, and 15.56ml H2 gas for Trial 2

I don't know where to go from here though.. any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write the relevant reaction equations displaying the products and reactants.

4. Oct 14, 2008 #3
    Zn + HCl -> ZnCl2 + H2
    Al + HCl -> AlCl3 + H2
    if all I can think of..?
    But I don't know how to calculate the amount of hydrogen produced. I know the hydrochloric must be the limiting reagent, to ensure complete reaction, but further than that, I'm stumped.

5. Oct 15, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

To be sure that reaction proceeded to the end, hydrochloric acid has to be in excess, sot it can't be a limiting reagent.

If I understand your description correctly, water was not pushed by 'exothermic' reaction, but by evolving gas. Volume of water displaced equals volume of produced hydrogen.

PV=nRT should give you number of moles of hydrogen.

Let's take a look at the first trial. Assume there were xg of Al in your sample. If so, there were (.1229g-xg) of Zn. Can you devise a formula that will let you calculate amount of hydrogen produced as a function of x?

6. Oct 15, 2008 #5
    Ummm...

Would (.1229-x gZn)(1mol/65.4gZn)(1/1) = 4.54
    (x gAl)(1mol/27.0gAl)(3/2) = 4.54

be the right equations?

7. Oct 15, 2008 #6

Borek

No idea what 4.54 stands for. And note, that you are interested in TOTAL amount of hydrogen, from both reactions.

8. Oct 15, 2008 #7
    Ah.. the five-day weekend has completely crippled my brain :(

I think I meant .00545, which is the moles of hydrogen produced from PV=nRT (762mmhg)(.1315L)/(62.4mmhg*L/moles*K)(294.4K).

I obtained .1315L as the amount of H2 produced, since volume water displaced = volume h2 produced.

Er. So if I let x = gAl, and .1229-x = gZn, then ((.1229-x)/MZn)(stoichiometric ratio) + (x)(stoichiometric ratio) = .00545 moles H2 produced, and solve for x?

9. Oct 15, 2008 #8

Borek

Apart from faulty details and unchecked numbers that's the correct idea.

10. Oct 15, 2008 #9
    Um which details are faulty?

11. Oct 15, 2008 #10

Borek

But you did it OK in the other half of the equation, so thats probably just overlooked.

12. Oct 15, 2008 #11
    Oh! Whoops my bad!
    Thanks so much for your help, by the way!!
    Much Appreciated :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?