1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine distance traveled up an incline w/ friction

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a box given an initial speed of 3.0 m/s up a 19.0° inclined track. The mass of the box is 20 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between sled and incline is 0.20. How far up the incline does the box move?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma, n=63.8N, mukN=12.76

3. The attempt at a solution

what do i use to find the forward force, and then determine how far it travels?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2
    Did you draw a force diagram? Ff=uFn, Fn is a component of weight. Is there an answer to compare to?
  4. Feb 24, 2008 #3
    i drew the diagram. no answer to compare to, it's on webassign. do i have to determine the acceleration in the opposite direction based on the friction force?
  5. Feb 24, 2008 #4
    Yes. There is friction force and it cause it to decelerate. Ff=ma, try that.
  6. Feb 24, 2008 #5
    do i use the actual mass times the friction force, or the normal force?
  7. Feb 24, 2008 #6
    Come again?
  8. Feb 24, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why in the world would you multiply mass times force at all? Force is "kg m/s2". Mass times force would be "kg2 m/s2" and I don't know any quantity that has those units.
  9. Feb 24, 2008 #8
    i understand that, i misspoke. i wanted to know what mass to use, either the given mass, or a component of it to determine the acceleration.
  10. Feb 24, 2008 #9
    Mass is mass. There is no component of mass, just component of weight.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?