Calculating Acceleration on an Inclined Plane with Friction | Two Block System

In summary: And your answer is correct!In summary, the two blocks with masses 2.0 kg and 4.0 kg slide down an inclined plane of inclination 30 degrees. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 2.0 kg block and the incline is 0.20 and that between the 4.0 kg block and the incline is 0.30. Using the equations ##\vec{F}_{T} = m\vec{a}##, ##F_{f} = \mu N##, and ##w = mg##, the magnitude of the acceleration of the two-block system can be found by setting up individual free body diagrams for each block and including the unknown contact force that the blocks exert on
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two blocks,in contact,slide down an inclined plane ##AC## of inclination ##30^°##,The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ##2.0 kg## block and the incline is ##μ_1=0.20## and that between the ##4.0kg## block and the incline is ##μ_2=0.30##.

Find the magnitude of the acceleration.

Homework Equations

##\vec {F_t }=m\vec a##
##F_f=μN##
##w=mg##

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I need to draw free body diagram,after that I can solve the question I guess.I stucked in the free body diagram,I don't know its true or not.Theres pic in the attached files.

Is there will be any action-reaction force pairs ?

Attachments

• Friction.png
    Friction.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 341
  • Friction  1.png
    Friction 1.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw individual free body diagrams, don't forget the forces the blocks exert on each other. (Those would be 3rd law pairs.)

But why not treat the two blocks as a single "system"?

Likes Mastermind01
Arman777 said:
Is there will be any action-reaction force pairs ?

When will there be action-reaction pairs? What do you think?

Doc Al said:
If you draw individual free body diagrams, don't forget the forces the blocks exert on each other. (Those would be 3rd law pairs.)

But why not treat the two blocks as a single "system"?
They have differenet friction constant and ##N## are different This 2 body diagrams seem simpler ( maybe not but for me yes )

Mastermind01 said:
When will there be action-reaction pairs? What do you think?

If an object exerts a force on something.That something should exert a force on that object

Well,If ##2.0 kg## object exerts a force on ##4.0kg## object. which its I guess, cause there's ##mgsin30## (component of ##2.0kg## block) exerts a force on 4 kg block so there will be action-reaction force pair ? Is it true ? the magnitude of it ? Or the idea ?

Arman777 said:
They have different friction constant and N are different I guess.
Sure. So what? (You can include the two friction forces acting on the blocks.)

Arman777 said:
This 2 body diagrams seem simpler ( maybe not but for me yes )
Using separate diagrams is perfectly fine! But then you must include the unknown contact force that the blocks exert on each other.

Doc Al said:
Sure. So what? (You can include the two friction forces acting on the blocks.)Using separate diagrams is perfectly fine! But then you must include the unknown contact force that the blocks exert on each other.

I don't know how to think them as a single object..

I want to write down my solution ( I ll add in a minute )

Arman777 said:
I don't know how to think them as a single object..
Since they move together, it's easy to treat them as a single system. But you don't have to.

(Think about it: If a single block were sliding down the incline you could -- mentally -- imagine the block divided into two pieces and treat each piece separately. You'll get the same answer as usual, though.)

Parallel to inclined plane is x and and the perpendicular to that axis is y.Down is +x and up is +y

##m_2a=m_2gsin(30^°)-μ_2m_2gcos(30^°)+F_{12}##
##m_1a=m_1gsin(30^°)-μ_1m_2gcos(30^°)-F_{21}##

Since
##F_{12}=-F_{21}##

lets subtract them.

##a(m_2-m_1)=gsin(30^°)(m_2-m_1)+gcos(30^°)(m_1μ_!-μ_2m_2)##

Doc Al said:
Since they move together, it's easy to treat them as a single system. But you don't have to.

(Think about it: If a single block were sliding down the incline you could -- mentally -- imagine the block divided into two pieces and treat each piece separately. You'll get the same answer as usual, though.)

I guess I understand

Arman777 said:
Parallel to inclined plane is x and and the perpendicular to that axis is y.Down is +x and up is +y

##m_2a=m_2gsin(30^°)-μ_2m_2gcos(30^°)+F_{12}##
##m_1a=m_1gsin(30^°)-μ_1m_2gcos(30^°)-F_{21}##

Since
##F_{12}=-F_{21}##

lets subtract them.

##a(m_2-m_1)=gsin(30^°)(m_2-m_1)+gcos(30^°)(m_1μ_!-μ_2m_2)##
Careful with signs.

Let's let ##F_{12}## stand for the magnitude of the contact force. In the first equation, it will appear as ##+ F_{12}##; in the second, as ##- F_{12}##.

Doc Al said:
Careful with signs.

Let's let ##F_{12}## stand for the magnitude of the contact force. In the first equation, it will appear as ##+ F_{12}##; in the second, as ##- F_{12}##.

But ##F_{12}## in the +x direction and ##F_{21}## in the -x direction. that's why there's "-" sign

Doc Al said:

This approach though only works for this question. I think we should check first whether they do move together?

Mastermind01 said:
This approach though only works for this question. I think we should check first whether they do move together?
I thought that too but the question asks one acceleration so they must have same acceleration I guess.

Arman777 said:
But ##F_{12}## in the +x direction and ##F_{21}## in the -x direction. that's why there's "-" sign
You are counting the sign twice, which is why your final equation is incorrect.

What you meant to do was use ##+ F_{12}## in the first equation and ##+ F_{21}## in the second equation. Then, using ##F_{12} = - F_{21}## would work out fine.

Arman777 said:
I thought that too but the question asks one acceleration so they must have same acceleration I guess.

What you're doing now (along with Doc Al's correction) is correct. For a different question, I think it's better to check first.

I am writing ##\vec F_{21}=F_{21} (-i)## but actually it is ##\vec F_{21}=F_{12} (-i)## my mistake I couldn't notice this.I solved and answer is correct thanks

So is it always ##\vec F_{21}=F_{12} (-i)## like this right but always (of course if ##\vec F_{12}=F_{12} (i)##

I would say it this way: ##\vec{F}_{12} = - \vec{F}_{21}##. The directions are opposite but the magnitudes are equal.

And note that when you combine the two equations correctly, you'll get an equation for the two-block system. (The masses will add.)

Likes Arman777
Doc Al said:
I would say it this way: ##\vec{F}_{12} = - \vec{F}_{21}##. The directions are opposite but the magnitudes are equal.

And note that when you combine the two equations correctly, you'll get an equation for the two-block system. (The masses will add.)

Newtons Third Law yeah...

I noticed two-block system equation when you say right know.Thanks again

Problem solved.I have one more question and I ll open another thread soon If you also help me in that I ll happy

What is acceleration on an inclined plane?

Acceleration on an inclined plane is the rate of change of velocity of an object as it moves on a slope. It is affected by the force of gravity, the angle of the incline, and any additional forces such as friction.

How do you calculate acceleration on an inclined plane?

To calculate acceleration on an inclined plane, you can use the formula a = (g*sinθ - μ*cosθ) where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the incline.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when in contact with each other. In the context of an inclined plane, it represents the amount of friction between the object and the surface of the incline.

How does friction affect acceleration on an inclined plane?

Friction can act as an opposing force to the motion of an object on an inclined plane, therefore reducing its acceleration. The amount of friction depends on the coefficient of friction and the normal force acting on the object.

How does a two block system affect the calculation of acceleration on an inclined plane with friction?

In a two block system, the presence of a second block can affect the normal force acting on the first block and therefore impact the calculation of acceleration. Additionally, the coefficient of friction between the two blocks can also impact the overall acceleration of the system.