Determine if series 3/n*sqrt(n) converges or diverges.

  • Thread starter Thread starter NastyAccident
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 15K views
NastyAccident
Messages
60
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{3}{n^{1+\frac{1}{n}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations


Comparison Test
Limit Comparison Test
Test of Convergence (Just to show it doesn't immediately diverge)

The Attempt at a Solution


I sort of just would like to check to make sure I'm getting a proper [tex]b_{n}[/tex]

Manipulating the Series:
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{3}{n^{1+\frac{1}{n}}}[/tex]

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{3}{n^{\frac{n+1}{n}}}[/tex]

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{3}{n\sqrt[n]{n}}[/tex]

Test of Convergence:
limit n->infinity [tex]\frac{3}{n^{\frac{n+1}{n}}}[/tex]

limit n->infinity [tex]\frac{3}{n^1}}[/tex]

limit ->infinity [tex]0[/tex]

The series MAY or MAY NOT be convergent.

Comparison Test
*Note* This series only contains positive terms*
From the looks of it, I'm going to GUESS that this series DIVERGES.
[tex]a_{n} = \frac{3}{n^{1+\frac{1}{n}}}, b_{n} = \frac{1}{n}[/tex]
[tex]a_{n} \geq b_{n}[/tex]

Since the series is [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{1}{n}[/tex], it is a p-series and it diverges because p [tex]\leq[/tex] 1.

By the Comparison Test, [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{3}{n\sqrt[n]{n}}[/tex] also diverges.

Limit Comparison Test

From the looks of it, I'm going to GUESS that this series DIVERGES.
*Note* This series only contains positive terms*
[tex]a_{n} = \frac{3}{n^{1+\frac{1}{n}}}, b_{n} = \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

limit n->infinity [tex]\frac{\frac{3}{n^{\frac{n+1}{n}}}}{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

limit n->infinity [tex]\frac{3n}{n^{\frac{n+1}{n}}}}[/tex]

limit n->infinity [tex]\frac{3}{n^{\frac{1}{n}}}}[/tex]

limit n->infinity [tex]0[/tex]By the Limit Comparison Test, [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{3}{n\sqrt[n]{n}}[/tex] is divergent since 0 > 0.

My questions:
Did I pick the right [tex]b_{n}[/tex]? If not, what did I do wrong in picking [tex]b_{n}[/tex]?
Any hints for picking the proper [tex]b_{n}[/tex]?
Was there a step that I missed or was unclear?

As always, any and all help is appreciated and will be greatly thanked! =) (I'm getting a 96% in Calc II thanks to the help I am receiving from this community in understanding concepts! [Nailed a 56/60 on a 20% exam!])
NastyAccident.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your bn seems great for your tests.

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{3}{n^{\frac{n+1}{n}}}[/tex] does have a limit; look at the denominator n1 + 1/n as n→∞
 
For your comparison test, with an being the terms in your series, and bn being the terms in the harmonic series, you said that an >= bn. That very well may be true, but you would need to establish this inequality instead of merely stating it.

For your work using the limit comparison test, you concluded that
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{a_n}{b_n}~=~0[/tex]
(with an and bn still as defined above), which is not true.

In your work you show [tex]\frac{\frac{3}{n^{1 + 1/n}}}{\frac{1}{n}}~=~\frac{3}{n^{1/n}}[/tex]
which is correct, but in evaluating the denominator limit you got an incorrect value. Here's how that goes, looking just at the limit of the denominator:
[tex]Let~y~=~n^{1/n}[/tex]
[tex]Then~ln~y~= ln (n^{1/n})~=~1/n*ln~n~=~\frac{ln~n}{n}[/tex]
Taking the limit of both sides, we have
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}ln~y~=~\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{ln~n}{n}[/tex]
[tex]=~\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{1/n}{1}~=~0[/tex]
The last limit was evaluated using L'Hopital's Rule.
Since lim ln y = ln lim y = 0, this means that lim y = 1.

The upshot of all this is that lim 3/(n1/n) = 3, and not 0 as you wrote.

This shows that your series diverges, which is in agreement with your instincts.
 
Mark44 said:
For your comparison test, with an being the terms in your series, and bn being the terms in the harmonic series, you said that an >= bn. That very well may be true, but you would need to establish this inequality instead of merely stating it.

For your work using the limit comparison test, you concluded that
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{a_n}{b_n}~=~0[/tex]
(with an and bn still as defined above), which is not true.

In your work you show [tex]\frac{\frac{3}{n^{1 + 1/n}}}{\frac{1}{n}}~=~\frac{3}{n^{1/n}}[/tex]
which is correct, but in evaluating the denominator limit you got an incorrect value. Here's how that goes, looking just at the limit of the denominator:
[tex]Let~y~=~n^{1/n}[/tex]
[tex]Then~ln~y~= ln (n^{1/n})~=~1/n*ln~n~=~\frac{ln~n}{n}[/tex]
Taking the limit of both sides, we have
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}ln~y~=~\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{ln~n}{n}[/tex]
[tex]=~\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{1/n}{1}~=~0[/tex]
The last limit was evaluated using L'Hopital's Rule.
Since lim ln y = ln lim y = 0, this means that lim y = 1.

The upshot of all this is that lim 3/(n1/n) = 3, and not 0 as you wrote.

This shows that your series diverges, which is in agreement with your instincts.

Attempt to satisfy #1 (I'm assuming I do not have to do mathematical induction):
[tex]a_{n} = \frac{3}{n^{1+\frac{1}{n}}}, b_{n} = \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

[tex]a_{n} \geq b_{n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3}{n^{1+\frac{1}{n}}}\geq\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3}{1^{1+\frac{1}{1}}}\geq\frac{1}{1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3}{2^{1+\frac{1}{2}}}\geq\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Attempt to satisfy #2 (Please note, I lacked knowledge on Le'Hospital's rule prior to this year since my AB teacher did not teach it.):

"[URL form
[/URL] shows that this is infinity to the 0 power case...

Transformation is:
ac6dd9afc56c0fa33d9316ffc2b0209d.png


Which matches what you did... So =) Thanks for directing me to pull out the Indeterminate forms... I'll be studying them this weekend!



NastyAccident
 
Last edited by a moderator: