Determine materials used here and its manufacturing processes

In summary, the materials used in a manufacturing process are determined by considering various factors such as the product's desired properties, cost, and availability. The manufacturing process itself can vary depending on the type of material being used, but generally involves steps such as shaping, joining, and finishing to create a final product. Materials commonly used in manufacturing include metals, plastics, and composites, and their properties can be manipulated through processes such as heating, cooling, and chemical treatments. It is important for manufacturers to carefully select and use materials and processes that will result in a high-quality, cost-effective product.
speedtobeat
Guys,

I have two objects here, need to know what are they and the processes they go thru to manufacture.

Thanks,
shubhash

Attachments

• DSC08809.jpg
    DSC08809.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 428
  • DSC08810.jpg
    DSC08810.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC08812.jpg
    DSC08812.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shubhash, welcome to PF.

Can you give us the context for this question - where does it come from?

Also, do you have any ideas about what the objects might be?

it was an assignment for manufacturing technology course, I am supposed to figure out the material used and the build of it...

shubhash

Moderator's note: thread moved from Materials & Chemical Engineering forum.

To the OP: please provide your thoughts and how far you have gotten with this assignment. Members are not supposed to do your homework assignment for you, instead we provide hints, guidance, and clarification.

Guys,

The question is a little tedious and elaborated. I just need clarification on what the hell I am dealing with here please.

shubhash

speedtobeat said:
Guys,

The question is a little tedious and elaborated. I just need clarification on what the hell I am dealing with here please.

shubhash

As you have been reminded of already, it is against the PF rules to give you answers to homework or coursework. That is supporting cheating, and we do not do that here on the PF.

Tell us what you have found so far. What research have you done so far (asking the question on web forums is not doing research)? What sources of information have you used to look at how items like this can be made?

Please tell us what you observe in each picture. That will help us orientate a suitable reply.

Sorry there, I am the group member of shubash.

So far we have found out so far that both things, 1 is engine fuse holder, then the 2nd 1 is plumb-bob(look like a top). Somehow, we need to find out the material used to manufacture it, but it is hard for us to figure it out whether it is in book or in internet as both things had been manufacture for quite a long time.

The 2nd problem i would like to mention is about the manufacturing process, which both must involve casting, joining, and machining process. It is a little bit hard for us as we were just started studying the subject " introduction to manufacturing" course.

Joe

ohaiyo said:
Sorry there, I am the group member of shubash.

So far we have found out so far that both things, 1 is engine fuse holder, then the 2nd 1 is plumb-bob(look like a top). Somehow, we need to find out the material used to manufacture it, but it is hard for us to figure it out whether it is in book or in internet as both things had been manufacture for quite a long time.

The 2nd problem i would like to mention is about the manufacturing process, which both must involve casting, joining, and machining process. It is a little bit hard for us as we were just started studying the subject " introduction to manufacturing" course.

Joe

Welcome to the PF.

Could you post some of the links to information that you've found so far for these two items? Also, have you gone to your local hardware store to look at plumb bobs, to see what they feel like, and to determine whether they are magnetic or not. Why would that help you determine the material they are made out of?

The more common metals that many objects are made from would be iron, steel, stainless steel, brass, aluminum, or copper.

Color, density, and whether it is magnetic offer clues as to which metal you have. It may be helpful to scratch off the surface oxide layer to see the metal's true color, and what it takes to scratch it can give information about the hardness -- another clue.

1. What is the purpose of determining materials used and manufacturing processes?

Determining materials used and manufacturing processes is important for understanding the composition and production methods of a product. This information can help scientists improve the design and functionality of the product, as well as identify any potential safety or environmental concerns.

2. How do scientists determine the materials used in a product?

Scientists can determine the materials used in a product through various methods such as analyzing the product's physical and chemical properties, conducting lab tests, and using specialized equipment such as spectrometers or microscopes. They may also consult with manufacturers or review product specifications.

3. What are some common manufacturing processes used for products?

Some common manufacturing processes include casting, molding, machining, and forming. Each process involves different techniques and tools to shape raw materials into a final product. The specific manufacturing process used depends on the type of product being made and the materials being used.

4. How do scientists determine the environmental impact of manufacturing processes?

Scientists can determine the environmental impact of manufacturing processes by conducting life cycle assessments, which analyze the energy and resources used, waste generated, and emissions produced throughout the entire manufacturing process. They can also look at the sustainability and recyclability of the materials used in the product.

5. Why is it important to understand the manufacturing processes of a product?

Understanding the manufacturing processes of a product is important for several reasons. It can help scientists improve the efficiency and quality of the product, ensure its safety and compliance with regulations, and identify ways to reduce its environmental impact. Additionally, understanding the manufacturing processes can help with troubleshooting and identifying potential issues in the production process.