Determine period for off center disk

In summary, the problem involves a disk of mass m and radius a suspended horizontally by a rod. The center of the disk is directly below the rod when in equilibrium. The goal is to find an approximate expression for the period, ignoring dissipative effects. Using Newton's second law, the moment of inertia of the disk is found to be 1/2*mr^2 + md^2. By relating this to the angular acceleration and using the formula alpha = T/I, the period is found to be pi((a^2)+d^2)/g*d.
boardaddict

Homework Statement

A disk of mass m and radius a is suspended horizontally by a rod bored through the disk at a location d distance from the center. When in equilibrium the center of the disk is directly below the rod. Obtain an approximate expression for the period, ignore disapative effects

Homework Equations

per Newtonian

I = 1/2 mr^2 + md^2
I*theta: = -mg(rsin(theta))

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2 ma^2 +md^2

Im missing something simple here...If someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
boardaddict said:

Homework Statement

A disk of mass m and radius a is suspended horizontally by a rod bored through the disk at a location d distance from the center. When in equilibrium the center of the disk is directly below the rod. Obtain an approximate expression for the period, ignore disapative effects

Homework Equations

per Newtonian

I = 1/2 mr^2 + md^2
I*theta: = -mg(rsin(theta))

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2 ma^2 +md^2

Im missing something simple here...If someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

Wait, can I use alpha= to T/I , then relate that to 2pi to find period?

boardaddict said:
Wait, can I use alpha= to T/I , then relate that to 2pi to find period?

If I did this right I get ;

pi((a^2)+d^2)/g*d

If someone would confirm that would be great

1. How do you determine the period for an off center disk?

The period for an off center disk can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the disk to complete one full rotation around its axis. This can be done using a stopwatch or a timer, and the average of multiple trials should be taken for accuracy.

2. What factors can affect the period of an off center disk?

The period of an off center disk can be affected by several factors, such as the mass of the disk, the distance of the center of mass from the axis of rotation, and the amount of friction present. The shape and size of the disk can also impact its period.

3. Can you determine the period of an off center disk without measuring its rotation?

No, the period of an off center disk cannot be accurately determined without measuring its rotation. This is because the period is directly related to the time it takes for the disk to make one full rotation.

4. How can the period of an off center disk be used in scientific experiments?

The period of an off center disk can be used in experiments to study rotational motion and to determine the effects of different factors on the period. It can also be used in experiments related to angular momentum and torque.

5. What are some real-world applications of determining the period for an off center disk?

Some real-world applications of determining the period for an off center disk include designing and optimizing machinery that involves rotational motion, such as engines, turbines, and propellers. It can also be used in sports equipment, such as golf clubs and baseball bats, to improve performance and efficiency.