Determine speed of bar and average frictional force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
shinchung24
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Large metal bars can be driven into the ground using a heavy falling object. What I have here is a 2000 kg falling object and a metal bar of 400 kg. The falling object strikes the bar at a speed of 6.0 m/s. It comes to rest on the bar without bouncing. As a result of the collision, the bar is driven into the ground to a depth of 0.75m
Now, I need to determine the speed of the bar immediately after the object strikes it
and determine the average frictional force exerted by the ground on the bar.

I'm just not sure on how to approach this.
I kind of have an idea of finding acceleration first for the frictional force which is F= ma?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
you need to find the force in which will make a item of that mass be driven to that depth. i think you can find depth as the same as distance