1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the absolute Velocity and Acceleration of Particle A

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The disk rolls without slipping on the horizontal surface, and at the instant represented, the center O has the velocity vO = 2.2 m/s and acceleration aO = 5.5 m/s2 with directions shown in the figure. For this instant, the particle A has the indicated speed u = 3.2 m/s and time rate of change of speed = 6.6 m/s2, both relative to the disk with directions shown in the figure. Determine the absolute velocity vA and acceleration aA of particle A.

I have attached an image of the question

2. Relevant equations

VA = VO + wXr + Vrel

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm honestly confused as to how to start this question. I'm not given the angular velocity so initially I tried to solve for it.

v = wXr

I know that the velocity at point O is -2.2i but how should I determine r? Or should I use the velocity at A instead?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Forget the particle for the moment. You have a disc of known radius rolling at known linear speed....

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3
    So, you're saying that the angular velocity, w, is;

v = wXr

w = v/r

w = 2.2/0.39

w = 5.641 CCW

Right?

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4
    After this part I'm fairly certain that I need to use:

VA = VO + wXr + vrel

Which I think should give me:

VA = -2.2i + (5.641k)X(0.3j) + 1i

vA = -2.8923 i

But it says this is not correct. I'm thinking that my mistake is with the vrel, how should I interpret this term, because I thought it was 1 because part A is traveling faster in the x direction by 1i. Am I mistaken?

6. Apr 9, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

vrel is given as 3.2 m/s to the right.

7. Apr 9, 2013 #6
    I've managed to get VA = -0.6923i + 0j

But I'm stuck on aA

I think I need to use the equation:

aA = aO + αXr + wXwXr + 2wXvrel + arel

I found α with

α = a/r

α = 5.5/0.3

α = -14.1k

aA = 5.5i + (-14.1k)X(0.3j) + (5.641k)X[(5.641k)X(0.3j)] + 2(5.641k)X(3.2i) - 6.6i

aA = 3.13i + 23.69j

I know the j part is incorrect but I don't know about the i part. I don't understand where I'm going wrong. Am I misinterpreting the arel?

8. Apr 9, 2013 #7
    My i component is correct at 3.13i and I finally managed to get the j component but it doesn't make sense.

the values for my j component are:

<5.641k>X[<5.641k>X<0.3k>] + 2<5.641k>X<3.2i> - 3.22/0.3

= -7.57719 j which is correct

I can see where the first two terms come from in the equation I gave above, but where does the 3.22/0.3 come from?

9. Apr 9, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's the centripetal acceleration from the fact that it is moving at 3.2m/s relative to the disc but constrained to move in an arc radius .3m relative to the disc centre.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted