Determine the Velocity and Acceleration of the Rotating Rod

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
Northbysouth
Messages
241
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


The body is formed of slender rod and rotates about a fixed axis through point O with the indicated angular properties. If ω = 4.6 rad/s and α = 4.4 rad/s2, determine the instantaneous velocity and acceleration of point A.

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations



v = wXr

a = αXr + wX(wXr)

The Attempt at a Solution



r = <0.5sin(24)i + 0.23cos(24)i +0.5cos(24)j - 0.23sin(24)j>

r = <0.4135i + 0.3632j + 0k>

w = 4.6k

va = <0i + 0j + 4.6k> X <0.4135i + 0.3632j + 0k>

VA = 1.6707i + 1.9021j

But it says this is wrong. What am I missing?

I know for the second part that I need to use:

aA = αXr + wX(wXr) but I can't seem to get wXr right.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
Attachments
  • dyn 5.003.png
    dyn 5.003.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,507
Physics news on Phys.org
well I see that you are using 0.23m as the distance from the straight part of the rod to the point A. However, I think 0.23m is the radius of the cirular part of the rod, so then the distance you should be using would be the diameter 0.46m.
 
You are correct. Thank you. My final correct answers are:

V_A = 1.24i + 2.869j

a_A = -12.01i + 8.449j