Determine the effective spring constant of the molecule

In summary, the given conversation discusses the determination of the effective spring constant of a DNA molecule, which compresses 1.00% upon becoming singly ionized. The formula F=kx is suggested to be used, with the force of compression coming from Coulomb's law. The charges on the molecule are +1e and -1e, and the final position for r is .99(2.17) micrometers.
Knfoster

Homework Statement

A molecule of DNA is 2.17 micrometers long. The ends of the molecule becom singly ionized: negative on one end, positive on the other. The helical molecule acts like a spring and compresses 1.00% upon becoming charged. Determine the effective spring constant of the molecule.

Homework Equations

I need a spring constant equation... Is this what I use?
F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

The distance is going to be .01(2.17), but I'm not sure where to go from there. Could you please point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, F=kx is what you use.

What's the force compressing the molecule? Remember that the molecule is singly ionized.

Hooke's law gives F=-kx (note the negative).

Since you already know x in this situation, all you need is F. Where do you think the force of compression comes from, and what is that force?

WEll... Could I use Coulomb's Law?
I know it is compressing because the two charges would be attracted to each other and want to come closer... but I'm not really sure how to get the force from that.

Use Coulomb's law. F=-kQ1Q2/r^2 (note, this k is not the spring constant k, but a constant for Coulomb's law)

but it doesn't say how much my charges are ionized by... should I just say they are + and - 1 ?

And is r going to be 2.17 micrometers?

It does say that they are "singly ionized". Which means your charges are +1e and -1e. Your r is actually going to be .99(2.17) micrometers, since that's the final position. The force of the "spring" is the force applied in the final position, so the force of the charges should be the force applied in the final position as well, although I don't think this will affect your calculations much.

1. How do you determine the effective spring constant of a molecule?

The effective spring constant of a molecule can be determined through various methods such as spectroscopic techniques, molecular dynamics simulations, and experimental measurements. These methods involve studying the molecular vibrations and the forces acting on the molecule to calculate the spring constant.

2. Why is it important to determine the effective spring constant of a molecule?

The effective spring constant of a molecule is a fundamental property that provides information about the strength of the bonds between atoms in the molecule. It is crucial in understanding the physical and chemical properties of the molecule and its behavior in different environments.

3. What factors can affect the effective spring constant of a molecule?

The effective spring constant of a molecule can be influenced by a variety of factors such as the molecular geometry, bond length, bond angle, and the types of atoms and bonds present in the molecule. External factors such as temperature and pressure can also affect the spring constant.

4. Can the effective spring constant of a molecule change?

Yes, the effective spring constant of a molecule can change in different environments, such as when the molecule is subjected to external forces or when it undergoes a chemical reaction. It can also vary depending on the type of bonds present in the molecule and their strength.

5. How is the effective spring constant related to the stiffness of a molecule?

The effective spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a molecule. A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer molecule, while a lower spring constant indicates a more flexible molecule. This property is important in understanding the mechanical properties of materials made up of molecules, such as polymers.