Determine the gas if the pressure of its saturated steam is known

In summary, One hundred thousands denarii (or 423 kg of gold) cost a vase from mineral A in Ancient Rome. A Painter in 17th century occasionally got from it gas B and Physicist in 19th told an assumption of its composition. The experimental data for B includes the pressure of its saturated steam and density over a liquid at different temperatures, as well as the relative density at different temperatures in the gaseous phase. To solve the given tasks, it is necessary to determine the identities of mineral A and gas B. The molar masses of B at different temperatures were calculated using the Mendeleev-Klapeiron equation, but resulted in different values. It is possible that another equation may be needed
beruniy
One hundred thousands denarii (or 423 kg of gold) cost a vase from mineral A in Ancient Rome. A Painter in 17th century occasionally got from it gas B and Physicist in 19th told an assumption of its composition.
There are experimental data of pressure of its saturated steam and density over a liquid at different temperatures:

T, oC 0 20 40 60 80 100
p, mm m.c. 363,8 773,2 1516 2778 4801 7891
ρ, g/l 2,015 3,170 4,976 7,645 11,44 16,64

and also data of relative density at different temperature in gaseous phase for this matter:

T, oC 26,4 29,2 33,1 39,2 47,3 88,1
p, mm m.c. 745 750 750 743 745 741
D, air 1,773 1,578 1,321 1,002 0,823 0,713

1) Determine gas A and mineral B
2) Determine compound and structure of this matter in gaseous phase
3) Describe physical properties and give the examples of chemical properties of this compound (reactions with different classes: simple matters, oxides, salts, hydroxides, acids)
4) What was the names of Painter and Physicist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Points 2), 3) and 4) of this task I can solve if I know what the matters A and B. So it is necessary to solve point 1).
I tried to use Mendeleev-Klapeiron equation, through density it becomes following:

M = ρRT/p

But for each occasion I've got... different molar masses! Explain please if it's possible?
I've got the next data:
M, g/mole 94,3 74,9 64,1 57,1 52,5 49,0
It means that during of temperature raising molar mass is decreasing. But it's impossible!
May be, I need to use another equations?

Dear sirs,
I've detected an error in my post. I am sorry.

I mixed up mineral and gas.

1) Determine mineral A and gas B

I also want to say that gas and matter have the same meaning - it is B. I think that problem says that B has different structures in liquid and gaseous phase. All the data relate to B.

I have only one question: how is it possible to determine gas B using pressures of its saturated vapour and relative densities?

What is the relationship between gas and saturated steam pressure?

The pressure of saturated steam is directly related to the gas that it is composed of. Different gases have different boiling points and therefore different saturated steam pressures.

How is the gas determined if the saturated steam pressure is known?

The gas can be determined by looking at a steam table or using a gas law calculation. By knowing the pressure of the saturated steam, the temperature can be found and then compared to the boiling point of known gases to determine the gas in question.

What factors can affect the pressure of saturated steam?

The pressure of saturated steam can be affected by temperature, volume, and the amount of gas present. Changes in any of these factors can cause a change in the pressure of the steam.

Can the pressure of saturated steam help identify the gas in a mixture?

Yes, the pressure of saturated steam can be used along with other information, such as temperature and volume, to help identify the gas present in a mixture. This can be useful in industrial settings or in scientific experiments.

Can the pressure of saturated steam change over time?

Yes, the pressure of saturated steam can change over time as the gas in the steam is consumed or depleted. This can happen in closed systems or in open systems where the gas is able to escape.

Back