Determine the general solution of QL PDE

In summary, the conversation is about determining the general solution of a given equation and using implicit differentiation to verify that the solution satisfies the given partial differential equation. The conversation also touches on creating tags automatically and the current progress of the problem.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

1) Determine the general solution of the equation

2) Use implict differentiation to verify that your solution satisfies the given PDE

Homework Equations

[tex]u u_x-y u_y=y[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dx}{u}=\frac{dy}{-y}=\frac{du}{y}[/tex]

Take the second two

[tex]\int-dy=\int du \implies u=-y+A[/tex]

Taking the first two

[tex]\frac{dx}{(-y+A)}=\frac{dy}{-y} \implies dx=\frac{(-y+A)dy}{-y}[/tex]

Integrating gives

[tex]x=y-A \ln(y) + f(A)[/tex] but [tex]f(A)=u+y[/tex] therefore the general solution implicitly is

[tex]x=y-A \ln(y) + u+y[/tex]

1) How am I doing?
2) I don't know how to do second question assuming above is correct
3) How do I create the tags automatically?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Folks,

I have also posted this query at

http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-help/f59/determine-general-solution-ql-pde-185703.html"

I will keep each forum informed. No luck yet.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

1) Determine the general solution of the equation

2) Use implict differentiation to verify that your solution satisfies the given PDE

Homework Equations

[tex]u u_x-y u_y=y[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dx}{u}=\frac{dy}{-y}=\frac{du}{y}[/tex]

Take the second two

[tex]\int-dy=\int du \implies u=-y+A[/tex]

Taking the first two

[tex]\frac{dx}{(-y+A)}=\frac{dy}{-y} \implies dx=\frac{(-y+A)dy}{-y}[/tex]

Integrating gives

[tex]x=y-A \ln(y) + f(A)[/tex] but [tex]f(A)=u+y[/tex] therefore the general solution implicitly is

[tex]x=y-A \ln(y) + f(u+y)[/tex]

1) How am I doing?
2) I don't know how to do second question assuming above is correct
3) How do I create the tags automatically?

Thanks

I realized I left out the function f symbol as highlighted above. Any ideas?

This is solved...See link in post 2

Cheers

1. What is a QL PDE and why is it important?

A QL PDE, or quasi-linear partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. These types of equations are important in many fields of science and engineering, as they can be used to model and solve a wide range of physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electromagnetism.

2. How do you determine the general solution of a QL PDE?

Determining the general solution of a QL PDE involves finding a function that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the variables. This can be done through various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using specific techniques for different types of equations.

3. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution is a function that satisfies the QL PDE for all possible values of the variables, while a particular solution is a specific function that satisfies the equation for a given set of initial or boundary conditions. The general solution may contain arbitrary constants, while a particular solution does not.

4. Are there any limitations to the general solution of a QL PDE?

Yes, there can be limitations to the general solution of a QL PDE. For example, the solution may only be valid for certain ranges of the variables or may only hold for specific boundary or initial conditions. Additionally, the general solution may not be unique, meaning there could be multiple functions that satisfy the equation.

5. How is the general solution of a QL PDE used in practical applications?

The general solution of a QL PDE can be used to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. By plugging in specific values for the variables and any necessary boundary conditions, a particular solution can be found that accurately models the physical system being studied. The general solution can also be used to predict behavior and make calculations for a wide range of scenarios.