1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the length of the third segment

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin uniform metal rod is bent into three perpendicular segments, two of which have length L = 4.67 m. Determine the length of the third segment such that the unit will hang with two segments horizontal when it is supported by a hook as shown in the figure.
    Fig1-20.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    sum T=0
    sum F=0
    mgr=T
    mg=F
    3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried a number of different ways to solve the problem but it seems like nothing has a chance of working

PS this is the first time i've posted on here, i looked through some other posts and read the rules to figure out the etiquette but if i still did anything wrong please just let me know it wasn't on purpose.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2
    Re: equilibrium

I have the same problem as you, I did a google search for this question and got this thread. I have no idea how to solve it though. Good Luck!

4. Jan 18, 2009 #3

I can't see the image try uploading it to imageshack or something then posting the link, thanks.

5. Jan 18, 2009 #4
  6. Jan 18, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If it is in equilibrium then the center of mass lies directly below the point of support.

Find the point that it balances right?

x = 1/M*∑ xi*mi

Since this x is located at L from the right ... you need to solve for the unknown length of the bottom piece (it appears in the sum of the moments) that you don't know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?