Determine time after which 4 persons meet in given scenario

In summary, at t=0, each person has a velocity of In summary, at t=0, each person has a velocity of
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
Four persons K, L, M, N are initially at the four corners of a square of side d. Each person now moves with a uniform speed v in such a way that K always moves directly towards L, L directly towards M, M directly towards N and N directly towards K. The four persons will meet after how much time?
Relevant Equations
v= d/t i.e. velocity = displacement/time
Relative velocity of A wrt B = velocity of A - velocity of B
The point of confusion is deciding the direction each persons sets out in i.e. velocity direction of each person. Knowing this will probably help in getting the solution.

At t=0, I can say that velocity of each person is as shown in diagram below.

Kinematics Problem Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see an attempt, so I will give you one word - which is one more than I should. Symmetry.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't see an attempt, so I will give you one word - which is one more than I should. Symmetry.
It seems they would meet at the center of the square, but then direction of velocity of each person would be changing every instant. In such a dynamically changing situation, how would I calculate the time? The direction of ## \vec v ## would be changing in direction all the time. If each person traveled a curved path to the center, then determining total distance would be difficult. If I knew that distance then I could use the simple equation of velocity = distance/time.

Last edited:
vcsharp2003 said:
It seems they would meet at the center of the square, but then direction of velocity of each person would be changing every instant. In such a dynamically changing situation, how would I calculate the time? The direction of ## \vec v ## would be changing in direction all the time. If each person traveled a curved path to the center, then determining total distance would be difficult. If I knew that distance then I could use the simple equation of velocity = distance/time.
What do you think happens to the distance between K and L if K moves towards L and L moves at right-angles to this direction?

Likes hutchphd
Let your answer be T(side length) and the length of the square be a, that is your answer is T(a).
Why would I write it this way?

PeroK said:
What do you think happens to the distance between K and L if K moves towards L and L moves at right-angles to this direction?
Distance between K and L should decrease with time. Initial distance is d between them and it finally reduces to 0.

vcsharp2003 said:
Distance between K and L should decrease with time. Initial distance is d between them and it finally reduces to 0.
We can all see that. What is the initial reduction in distance (initial relative speed)? Can you calculate that using trigonometry?

PeroK said:
Can you calculate

I think at this point you have plenty of hints. You should try and set up a calculation.

I meant calculate the answer, not some random thing.

PeroK said:
We can all see that. What is the initial reduction in distance (initial relative speed)? Can you calculate that using trigonometry?
Below is velocity of K relative to L.
16181568798241455716345160515227.jpg

vcsharp2003 said:
Below is velocity of K relative to L.
That's not what I asked you to calculate. I asked you to calculate the rate at which the distance between K and L is decreasing.

The magnitude of the relative velocity is something else.

PeroK said:
That's not what I asked you to calculate. I asked you to calculate the rate at which the distance between K and L is decreasing.

The magnitude of the relative velocity is something else.
I think the initial distance between them is d which gradually becomes zero and also point K would be approaching point L at velocity v always, so time taken to meet should be d/v.

Is that right?

vcsharp2003 said:
I think the initial distance between them is d which gradually becomes zero and also point K would be approaching point L at velocity v always, so time taken to meet should be d/v.

Is that right?
We all know that. Can you really not calculate the rate at which the distance initially reduces between K and L?

PeroK said:
We all know that. Can you really not calculate the rate at which the distance initially reduces between K and L?
If we take K and L, then velocity of K is always going to be perpendicular to velocity of L, no matter what path they take. This means the velocity of approach between K and L will always be v since K has no component along the perpendicular. So my answer to your question is v, which is the velocity of approach between K and L.

vcsharp2003 said:
If we take K and L, then velocity of K is always going to be perpendicular to velocity of L, no matter what path they take. This means the velocity of approach between K and L will always be v since K has no component along the perpendicular. So my answer to your question is v, which is the velocity of approach between K and L.
If you can justify that, then you've got the answer.

1. How do you determine the time after which 4 persons meet in a given scenario?

To determine the time after which 4 persons meet in a given scenario, you need to have information about their starting positions, velocities, and directions of motion. Using this information, you can set up equations to calculate the time at which their positions will intersect.

2. What is the formula for determining the time after which 4 persons meet in a given scenario?

The formula for determining the time after which 4 persons meet in a given scenario is t = (x2-x1)/(v1-v2), where t is the time, x1 and x2 are the starting positions, and v1 and v2 are the velocities of the two persons.

3. Can the time after which 4 persons meet be negative?

Yes, the time after which 4 persons meet can be negative if they are moving in opposite directions and have not yet met. In this case, the negative time indicates the amount of time before they will meet.

4. What if the 4 persons are not moving in a straight line?

If the 4 persons are not moving in a straight line, the calculation becomes more complex. You will need to use vector equations to determine the time at which their positions will intersect.

5. Is it possible for the 4 persons to never meet?

Yes, it is possible for the 4 persons to never meet if they are moving in parallel lines or if their starting positions and velocities do not allow for their positions to intersect. In this case, the time after which they would meet would be infinite.