Is my work correct? (Two students running on a track)

bekishe004
Homework Statement
I am not sure if my working out is correct because I have 2 values
Relevant Equations
d=vt
Two students run around a 400m sport field. A goes anticlockwise (i.e., 1-2-3-4-1) while Bruns clockwise (i.e., 1-4-3-2-1). Students A and B can run 400 m in 75.0 s and 65.0 s,respectively.

1695871185990.png

Students A and B should meet at some point of the run. Where do they meet? Assume the cross-over position is P. What is their relative velocity at position P.
My working out:

Lets first find the relative velocity, which going to be 12

t=d/v
400/12 = 33.33... seconds

d = 5.33 * 33.33 = 177.67m
d= 6.67 * 33.33 = 222.32m

Now, whats confusing me is that I have two values and I am not sure what to do with them.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope this time and I haven't violated any rules.

bekishe004 said:
I hope this time and I haven't violated any rules.
I don't think so. How do you know that the relative velocity is "12"? 12 what? What are 5.33 and 6.67 and how did you get them?

Suppose you cut the track at point 1 and you straighten it out to get a straight 400-m track. The runners start at each end going towards each other. Do you see where this is going?

Likes bekishe004
kuruman said:
I don't think so. How do you know that the relative velocity is "12"? 12 what? What are 5.33 and 6.67 and how did you get them?

Suppose you cut the track at point 1 and you straighten it out to get a straight 400-m track. The runners start at each end going towards each other. Do you see where this is going?
Sure,

Student A v=d/t= 400/75=5.33m/s
Student B v=d/t=400/65=6.15m/s

It appears I made a mistake, its not 6.67 but 6.15m/s my bad

"Suppose you cut the track at point 1 and you straighten it out to get a straight 400-m track. The runners start at each end going towards each other. Do you see where this is going?"
Not really sorry

bekishe004 said:
Not really sorry
In the oval track, the runners start and meet at point P such that the sum of their distances from their respective starting points is 400 m.

In the straight track, the runners start and meet at point P such that the sum of their distances from their respective starting points is 400 m.

If you can find P in the straight track case, you have found point P in the oval track case.

Now do you see?

Likes bekishe004
Ohhh
kuruman said:
In the oval track, the runners start and meet at point P such that the sum of their distances from their respective starting points is 400 m.

In the straight track, the runners start and meet at point P such that the sum of their distances from their respective starting points is 400 m.

If you can find P in the straight track case, you have found point P in the oval track case.

Now do you see?

kuruman said:

Now do you see?
With my new values and understanding,

this what I am getting

5.33t+6.15t=400
11.48x=400
x=400/11.48

400/11.48 = 34.84s

5.33*34.84 = 185.70
6.15*34.84 = 214.27

sum of two these values gives 400m

I still kinda confused where I go from here

bekishe004 said:

this what I am getting

5.33t+6.15t=400
11.48x=400
x=400/11.48

400/11.48 = 34.84s

5.33*34.84 = 185.70
6.15*34.84 = 214.27

I don't think I am wrong because when Student A travels to 214m thats where Student B who has travelled 185 m.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me or trying too.

I did pretty well in chemistry and precalc but I dunno why physics is kicking my butt

bekishe004 said:

this what I am getting

5.33t+6.15t=400
11.48x=400
x=400/11.48

400/11.48 = 34.84s

5.33*34.84 = 185.70
6.15*34.84 = 214.27

Answer the question. Where is point P?

Likes bekishe004
bekishe004 said:
Student B is faster than student A.
Therefore, when B completes 400 m, he will be at point 1 again, but student A has not reached point 1 yet (he may be moving between points 4 and 1).

The meeting time must be the same for A and B and its value should be between 65 and 75 seconds.

You could create a distance versus time diagram for both students in order to visualize the relative movements more clearly.

Last edited:
Likes bekishe004
kuruman said:
Answer the question. Where is point P?
I am unsure

but am I close?

Lnewqban said:
Student B is faster than student A.
Therefore, when B completes 400 m, he will be at point 1 again, but student A has not reached point 1 yet (he may be moving between points 4 and 1).

The meeting time must be the same for A and B and its value should be between 65 and 75 seconds.

You could create a distance versus time diagram for both students in order to visualize the relative movements more clearly.
I have tried that it didnt help me out

1695877871686.png

Can you answer where they meet if on a straight track?

bekishe004 said:
I have tried that it didnt help me out

View attachment 332720
Your graph is as though they go the same direction around. Try reversing one.

haruspex said:
Can you help me with that please?
I know that y=6.15x
and y=5.33x
I am so confused

haruspex said:
1695885773882.png

This might be it
I apologise for being slow
Again, thank you to everyone for helping me

Likes Tom.G and Lnewqban

1. How do I know if my calculations are accurate?

One way to check the accuracy of your calculations is to double check your work and make sure you have followed all the necessary steps. Additionally, you can use mathematical software or ask a colleague to review your work.

2. Is there a specific formula I should be using for this problem?

It depends on the specific problem and what information is given. It's important to carefully read the problem and determine which formula is most appropriate to use.

3. Can I use estimation to check my work?

Yes, estimation can be a helpful tool to check the reasonableness of your answer. However, it should not be used as a substitute for accurate calculations.

4. Should I show my work or just write down the final answer?

It is always best to show your work, especially if you are unsure about the accuracy of your answer. This will allow you to identify any mistakes and make corrections if needed.

5. What should I do if my answer is different from my classmates'?

If your answer differs from your classmates', it's important to double check your work and make sure you have followed the same steps and used the same formula. If you are still unsure, you can ask your teacher or a classmate for help in identifying any errors.