Determine Total Work done by the Force

In summary, the problem involves a collar moving on a curved track from position A to position B with negligible friction. A force of 10 N, always oriented at an angle of 35° with the positive x-axis, acts on the collar. The total work done by this force on the collar from position A to position B is 0.86 J.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The collar moves on a curved track from position A to position B, and slides with neglible friction. A force F = 10 N acts upon the collar from position A to position B, and the direction of the force is always oriented θ = 35° with a positive x-axis as shown. Determine the total work done by the force F on the collar from position A to position B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the work done by the forces in the x and y directions.

In the x direction there's:

0.175*10cos(35) = 1.433 J

0.1*10sin(35) = 0.574 J

I then tried taking the magnitude of this, but the answer should be 8.60 J, which i obviously won't get.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

The collar moves on a curved track from position A to position B, and slides with neglible friction. A force F = 10 N acts upon the collar from position A to position B, and the direction of the force is always oriented θ = 35° with a positive x-axis as shown. Determine the total work done by the force F on the collar from position A to position B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the work done by the forces in the x and y directions.

In the x direction there's:

0.175*10cos(35) = 1.433 J

0.1*10sin(35) = 0.574 J

I then tried taking the magnitude of this, but the answer should be 8.60 J, which i obviously won't get.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What you have done is basically correct but what about the sign of of the work done in the vertical direction ? I think the answer would be 0.86 J.

1. What is the definition of total work done by a force?

The total work done by a force is the product of the magnitude of the force and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

2. How do you calculate the total work done by a force?

The total work done by a force can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

3. What units are used to measure total work done by a force?

The units used to measure total work done by a force are joules (J). This is equivalent to kg⋅m²/s².

4. Can the total work done by a force be negative?

Yes, the total work done by a force can be negative if the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This indicates that the force is doing work against the motion of the object.

5. What is the difference between total work done and net work done by a force?

Total work done by a force is the sum of all the work done by the force on an object, while net work done is the total work done minus any work done by other forces on the object. Net work done is a measure of the change in the kinetic energy of the object.