Intersecting Functions: Solving Logarithmic Equations

• Thread starter TheRedDevil18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
If x= 0, of course, you can't do that. As x is divided out, you get log(3)/log(2)= x. If you are using a different base, b, say, then the logarithm of 3 to base b, log[b](3), is log[b](3)= log(3)/log(b). Similarly, log[b](2)= log(2)/log(b). Then log[b](3)/log[b](2)= log(3)/log(2) so you get the same number.But if you are using a different base, you don't get x= log(3)/log(2), you get x= log(3)/
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

Determine at which points the graphs of the given pair of functions intersect:

f(x) = 3x and g(x) = 2x2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to equate and solve for x so I converted them to logarithms

log3x = log2x2

Don't know if that's right, but I am stuck here, do I use the change of base formula ?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheRedDevil18 said:

Homework Statement

Determine at which points the graphs of the given pair of functions intersect:

f(x) = 3x and g(x) = 2x2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to equate and solve for x so I converted them to logarithms

log3x = log2x2

Don't know if that's right, but I am stuck here, do I use the change of base formula ?

With that subscript in there not clear what you mean by "converted them to logarithms". The correct thing to do is to try to solve the equation log(f(x))=log(g(x)). ##\log 3^x=\log 2^{x^2}##. The 'log' can be any base you like. Just use the rules of logarithms to solve that equation.

You cannot just replace exponentials by logarithms, it won't work. There is a way to solve it, but then your steps have to be valid transformations.
do I use the change of base formula ?
That is a good idea, you can do it with the exponentials as well.

log3x = log2x2

log3x = 2log2x

Using the change of base formula

log2x/log23 = 2log2x...stuck here

2x2 means 2(x2), not (2x)2, your first step does not work.

What is log(3x) simplified?

xlog3 = x^2log2

log3 = xlog2

x = log3/log2

Is that correct ?, also why is the base 10 ?, I thought it was 3 and 2 respectively

TheRedDevil18 said:
xlog3 = x^2log2

log3 = xlog2

x = log3/log2

Is that correct ?, also why is the base 10 ?, I thought it was 3 and 2 respectively

That's part of it. The base doesn't have to be 10. If you take ratio log(3)/log(2) in any base you'll get the same number. Can you say why? More importantly, there is another solution. What is it?

Dick said:
That's part of it. The base doesn't have to be 10. If you take ratio log(3)/log(2) in any base you'll get the same number. Can you say why? More importantly, there is another solution. What is it?

I think the other solution should be x = 0 as well ?, I'm not too sure about why you get the same number, a bit confused, can you explain that please ?

Starting from [itex]3^x= 2^{x^2}[/itex], you can take the logarithm to any base, "10", "e", whatever, and get [itex]log(3^x)= x log(3)= log(2^{x^2})= x^2 log(2)[/itex]. If x is not 0, you can divide both sides by x log(2).

Related to Intersecting Functions: Solving Logarithmic Equations

1. What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation in which a variable appears both as an exponent and in the base of a logarithm. These equations can be solved by using logarithmic properties to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.

2. How do I solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you must use logarithmic properties to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can use algebraic methods to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Finally, you can use the inverse property of logarithms to solve for the variable.

3. What are some common logarithmic properties?

Some common logarithmic properties include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base formula. These properties can be used to manipulate logarithmic expressions and simplify logarithmic equations.

4. Can all logarithmic equations be solved?

Yes, all logarithmic equations can be solved using logarithmic properties and algebraic methods. However, some equations may have no real solutions, resulting in a "no solution" answer.

5. How do I check my solution to a logarithmic equation?

To check your solution to a logarithmic equation, you can plug the solution back into the original equation and simplify. If the solution satisfies the original equation, then it is a valid solution.