1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine whether series is convergent or divergent

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether or not the series [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}[/tex] converges.

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming this diverges, I rationalize it to get get [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt{n}[/tex]. How would I proceed further?

Is this even the right approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2008 #2
    Well, you can't just assume it diverges. I haven't studied series in quite a while. The rationalizing of the denominators seems like a promising approach, but someone else will have to comment on that.

I think the following is a valid method. Let f(n) be the expression we are summing. As n-> +inf f(n) -> 1/(2sqrt(n)). But the infinite series with 1/sqrt(n) is a p-series and I think it's divergent.

4. Aug 4, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

snipez90 is right. Don't 'rationalize' it. Just compare it with a divergent p-series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?