Determing Boiling Point elevations in lab

In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to match up calculated and measured boiling point elevations for a 1 molar solution of sodium carbonate. The individual seeking help initially did not provide enough information for a definitive answer, but later reveals that their calculations were based on 1 mol rather than the actual number of ions produced during ionization, resulting in a higher elevation than expected. It is suggested to consider the Van't Hoff factor and the precision of the thermometer used. The conversation also explores the accuracy of the measurements and the potential effect of solute concentration on the Van't Hoff value.
mheadlee
I am trying to get the calculations and the data to match up in lab. The boiling point elevation predicted by the equation does not match up to the one I am getting by direct measurement. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
mheadlee said:
I am trying to get the calculations and the data to match up in lab. The boiling point elevation predicted by the equation does not match up to the one I am getting by direct measurement. What am I doing wrong?

We don't know what equation you are talking about. We don't know what you did. We don't know what and how you calculated. We don't know what and how you measured. We know nothing, yet you expect us to give you a definitive answer? Sorry, we are witty, wise and knowledgeable, but mind reading is something we are not trained in.

I am trying to determine the Boiling point elevation for a 1 m solution of sodium carbonate. Multiplying 1 m by .512 should give a boiling point elevation of .512 C, but when I measure out a 1 m solution and boil it I get an elevation of 2 C

What is the formula for boiling point elevation for ionic substances?

I believe the molar boiling point elevation for ionic compounds depends on the number of ions that are produced when the substance ionizes. Sodium Carbonate ionizes to two Sodium plus one Carbonate that makes 3 particles therefore a 1 molar solution of Sodium Carbonate should have 3 moles of ions in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling-point_elevation

My calculations were based on 1 mol. That explains why the elevation I am getting is between 3 and 4 times higher. The rest of the error can be attributed to the equipment I am working with. Its like trying to slice an onion with a chain saw. Thanks for your help.

What you were missing is called a Van 't Hoff factor.

Thanks again - We tried it and cut our error down from about 300% to about 40%. Much better but not good enough. I wonder if it would be better to work backwards from an observed boiling point to a Van't Hoff factor? I need to "brush up" on this stuff a little more.

How precise was the thermometer used to measure the BP elevation?

we were using digital thermometers plus minus .1 C

That means your delta T in worst case is ±.2 and very likely ±.1 deg C. If you did a single experiment you can't say anything about accuracy of your measurements (other than to assume it was in the range given by the instrument specification).

We did three trials, all three outcomes were within 10% of each other. Our lowest error was 40% and our highest error was 50%. I am wondering if the actual Van't Hoff value is somewhere between one and three. Three assumes all ions dissociate completely and one assumes that none did. Also - I wonder if the concentration of the solute was too high. Would the actual VH value drop as the solution approaches saturation? (I am guessing at this point)

mheadlee said:
Three assumes all ions dissociate completely

As far as I know this is a pretty good assumption in this case.

1. What is the purpose of determining boiling point elevations in lab?

The purpose of determining boiling point elevations in lab is to study the effects of solutes on the boiling point of a solution. This can help in understanding the properties of different substances and their interactions with each other.

2. How is the boiling point elevation of a solution calculated?

The boiling point elevation of a solution is calculated by subtracting the boiling point of the pure solvent from the boiling point of the solution. This difference is known as the boiling point elevation.

3. What factors can affect the boiling point elevation in a solution?

The boiling point elevation in a solution can be affected by the number of solute particles present, the type of solute, and the concentration of the solution. Other external factors such as atmospheric pressure and impurities in the solvent can also have an impact.

4. How do you perform a boiling point elevation experiment in the lab?

To perform a boiling point elevation experiment in the lab, you will need a boiling point apparatus, a thermometer, a known amount of solute, and a known amount of solvent. The solute is dissolved in the solvent to create a solution, and the boiling point of the solution is measured. This is then compared to the boiling point of the pure solvent to determine the boiling point elevation.

5. What are the applications of determining boiling point elevations in lab?

Determining boiling point elevations in lab has various applications in industries such as food, pharmaceuticals, and chemistry. It is used to determine the purity of substances, study the effects of impurities on solutions, and to understand the behavior of different solutes in different solvents. It is also a common method used in the identification and characterization of unknown substances.