Can Raoult's Law Determine Boiling Points of Fuel Oil?

In summary, Cavitation can occur in pumps and valves when the pressure drop in the oil causes the boiling point to be exceeded. This can lead to damage to the equipment. Cavitation can be predicted using Raoult's law.
hartmais
Fuel oil like heavy fuel oil consists of multiple different Carbon and Hydrogen molecule strains. This means that there are a multiple of different boiling points with in the same oil. Cavitation in pumps and valves happen when due to the acceleration of the fluid the pressure drop causing the pressure of the fluid to fall below the boiling point. The bubbles that form then collapse at the point where the pressure then exceeds the boiling point causing damage to the pumps or valves. When working with homogeneous fluids like water it is relatively easy to calculate whether cavitation would occur since there are vapor tables available etc.

I know that there is also multiple grades of oil. I am interested at finding a pressure vs temperature curve where there would be some form of boiling that can cause cavitation in heavy fuel oil. In heavy fuel oil their are a small amount of diesel that is used to control the viscosity.

Though diesel is also a combination of a lot of different carbon hydrogen chains, I would have thought there would be some information available at the point where "First boil" would take place. The term "First boil" is my own for where enough of the carbon strains would boil out the oil to cause a notable increase in fluid volume.

Could some one please help with more information?

Science news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with Raoult's Law?

Thanks. I have read about Raoult's law and it makes sense. The problem I have is that I often here cavitation on fuel oil pumps and see the damage of the cavitation. Example If we are pumping heavy fuel oil with flash point of 60 degree C but say the temperature is 85 degree C we experience cavitation. The boiling temperature of the oil is however indicated as between 300 and 500 degree C.

My real question is how can I find a pressure vs temperature characterization that will indicate the cavitation potential of the oil.

Just use Raoult's law to calculate the equilibrium pressure as a function of temperature for a solution of the given composition. Do not modify the composition.

Likes Bystander

1. What is the definition of boiling point?

The boiling point of a substance is the temperature at which it changes from a liquid to a gas at a given pressure.

2. How is the boiling point of fuel oil determined?

The boiling point of fuel oil is determined through a process called distillation. The fuel oil is heated and the temperature at which it starts to vaporize and form a gas is recorded as the boiling point.

3. What factors can affect the boiling point of fuel oil?

The boiling point of fuel oil can be affected by the type and composition of the oil, the pressure and altitude at which it is being tested, and any impurities or additives in the oil.

4. Why is knowing the boiling point of fuel oil important?

Knowing the boiling point of fuel oil is important for various reasons. It can help determine the quality and purity of the oil, its suitability for different applications, and its stability during storage and transportation.

5. How does the boiling point of fuel oil relate to its flash point?

The boiling point and flash point of fuel oil are both indicators of its volatility. The flash point is the temperature at which the oil gives off enough vapor to ignite, while the boiling point is the temperature at which it completely vaporizes. In general, the lower the boiling point, the lower the flash point, and the more volatile the fuel oil.