1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Angle with Vector Components

1. Sep 19, 2014 #1

srg

Gold Member

Greetings women and men,

I have a problem in which I have to find an angle [itex]\phi[/itex].

http://srg.sdf.org/images/PF/StaticsHW.png [Broken]

A horizontal force of [itex]\vec{F}=400 lbs[/itex] is placed on the structure at point A. Find angle [itex]\phi[/itex] to give the AB component of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] a magnitude of 600 lbs.

To solve this, I drew a diagram
    http://srg.sdf.org/images/PF/StaticsHW2.png [Broken]

I used the Pythagorean theorem to find x: [tex]600^2=400^2+x^2 \rightarrow x=\sqrt{600^2-400^2} \therefore x=447.2[/tex]

Then I used the law of sines to find [itex]\phi[/itex]: [tex]\frac{447.2}{\sin{30}}=\frac{400}{\sin\phi} \rightarrow \frac{400\sin{30}}{447.2}=\sin\phi \rightarrow \arcsin{\frac{400\sin{30}}{447.2}}=\phi=26.6\deg[/tex]

However, [itex]\phi=26.6\deg[/itex] is not the same as the answer in the back of my textbook. I'm not sure where I went wrong. The correct answer in the textbook is [itex]\phi=38.3\deg[/itex].

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Where's the right angle? The pythagorean theorem is predicated on using a right triangle.

4. Sep 19, 2014 #3

srg

Gold Member

Ah! Duh! That's why. Law of cosines it is. Can't believe I overlooked that.

Thanks!

5. Sep 19, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Uh ... do you understand the Pythagorean Theorem? What kind of triangles does it apply to?

EDIT: I see that jedishrfu beat me to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted