Vectors in yz and xz plane dot product, cross product, and angle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Ursa
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Homework Statement
Vector ##\vec a## lies in the yz plane 63.0° from the positive direction of the y axis, has a positive z component, and has magnitude ##2.60 m##. Vector ##\vec b## lies in the xz plane 51.0° from the positive direction of the x axis, has a positive z component, and has magnitude ##1.30 m##. Find (a)##\vec a \cdot \vec b## , (b) the x-component of ##\vec a X \vec b## , (c) the y-component of ##\vec a X \vec b## , (d) the z-component of ##\vec a X \vec b## , and (e) the angle between ##\vec a## and ##\vec b## .
Relevant Equations
##a_y =a sin \Phi##
##a_x =a cos \Phi##
##\vec a \cdot \vec b =ab cos \phi##
I tried to find the components of the vectors.

##a_y =2.60 sin 63.0 = 2.32## and assuming the z axis would behave the same as an x-axis ##a_z =2.60 cos 63.0 = 1.18##

##b_z =1.30 sin 51.0 = 1.01## making the same assumption ##b_x =1.3 cos 51.0 = 0.82## I now think I should have switched these two around, seeing the in the positive direction on the zx plane the z looks like the x and the x like the y.

but going further in this logic I attempted (a)

\begin{matrix}
0i & 2.32j & 1.18k\\
0.82i & 0j & 1.01k
\end{matrix}

##0*0.82 + 2.32*0 + 1.18*1.01= 1.19##

(b)
##2.32*1.01 - 1.18 *0 = 2.3##

(c)

##1.18 *0 - 0*1.01= 0##

(d)

##0 *0 - 2.31*0.82= 1.90##

(e)

##\vec a \cdot \vec b =ab cos \phi##
##1.19= 2.6*1.3 cos \phi##
##\phi = 69.4°##
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your trig functions. Remember that ##\cos\Phi=\dfrac{\text{adjacent}}{\text{hypotenuse}}##.
 
So if I understand my mistake the right answers should be
(a) 0.97 m^{2}
(b) -1.19 m^{2}
(c) -1.90 m^{2}
(d) 2.34 m^{2}
(e) 73.3°

or have I veered way of again?
 
Ursa said:
So if I understand my mistake the right answers should be
(a) 0.97 m^{2}
(b) -1.19 m^{2}
(c) -1.90 m^{2}
(d) 2.34 m^{2}
(e) 73.3°

or have I veered way of again?
That's not what I get.
 
Your answer to (a) is incorrect. That means that your vectors ##\vec a## and/or ##\vec b## are incorrect. What did you change? How about posting them as you did before?
 
... why not just post the components of your two vectors and get those right before going any further.
 
These are the components I came up with

##a_y =2.60 sin 63.0 = 2.32## ##a_x=0## ##a_z =2.60 cos 63.0 = 1.18##

##b_y=0## ##b_x =1.30 sin 51.0 = 1.01## ##b_z =1.3 cos 51.0 = 0.82##
 
Ursa said:
These are the components I came up with

##a_y =2.60 sin 63.0 = 2.32## ##a_x=0## ##a_z =2.60 cos 63.0 = 1.18##

##b_y=0## ##b_x =1.30 sin 51.0 = 1.01## ##b_z =1.3 cos 51.0 = 0.82##
You have sines and cosines mixed up.
 
Ursa said:
These are the components I came up with

##a_y =2.60 sin 63.0 = 2.32## ##a_x=0## ##a_z =2.60 cos 63.0 = 1.18##

##b_y=0## ##b_x =1.30 sin 51.0 = 1.01## ##b_z =1.3 cos 51.0 = 0.82##
See post #2.