1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining At Which Points A Function is Analytic (Holomorphic) and Singular

1. Oct 28, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have to determine at which points the function ##\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{z}## is analytic.

I just want to verify that I understand what the Cauchy-Riemann equations tells us about a function, in terms of its differentiability, and what it means for a function to be analytic (holomorphic).

Let's look at the first function.

##\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{z} = z^{-1} = \frac{x}{x^ + y^2} + i \frac{-y}{x^2 + y^2}##. This gives us the real function

##\displaystyle u(x,y) = \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2} ##, which has the partials

##\displaystyle u_x = \frac{x \cdot 2x - 1 \cdot (x^2 + y^2)}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} = \frac{2x^2 - x^2 - y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2} = \frac{x^2 - y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2} ##

and

##\displaystyle u_y = \frac{x \cdot 2y - 0 \cdot (x^2 + y^2)}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} = \frac{2xy}{(x^2+y^2)^2}##

The imaginary function is ##\displaystyle v(x,y) = \frac{-y}{x^2 + y^2}##, which has the partials

##\displaystyle v_x = -y \cdot (x^2 + y^2 )^{-2} (2x) = \frac{-2xy}{(x^2 + y^2)^2}##

and

##\displaystyle v_y = \frac{-y \cdot (2y) - (-1) \cdot (x^2 + y^2)}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} = \frac{-2y^2 + x^2 + y^2}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} = \frac{x^2 - y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}##

Now, there is a theorem which states that a function ##f(z)## is differentiable at a point if that point satisfies the conditions

##\displaystyle u_ x = v_y## and ##\displaystyle u_y = - v_x## (Cauchy-Riemann equations)

Consequently, any point ##z## which does not satisfy these equations is a point at which ##f(z)## is not differentiable.

Clearly, if I substitute in the partials, I will find that the equations are satisfied for every complex number, except ##z=(0,0)##. Therefore, the function is differentiable everywhere, except ##z=(0,0)##.

Now, I claim that the function is analytic everywhere because I can form an open disk around around any point in the plane, and the disk will only enclose points at which ##f(z)## is differentiable.

Does this sound correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2014 #2
    Actually, I am not certain that it would be analytic at ##z=(0,0)##. Here are the definitions of analyticity in an open set and at a given point ##z_0##:

1) A function of a complex variable ##z## is analytic (regular, holomorphic) in an open set if
    it has a derivative at each point in the set. (Note that here derivatives and analyticity
    are not defined on boundaries - only in neighborhoods.)

2) A function of a complex variable ##z## is analytic at a point ##z_0## if it is analytic in some
    open set containing ##z_0##.

If I understand these correctly, which I previously thought I did, then for ##f(z)## to be analytic at the point ##z_0##, I must be able to find an open disk which includes ##z_0## and the function must be differentiable at every point in the disk--which would include ##z_0##. If this is so, then ##z=0## would not be analytic. Consequently, it would be a singular point.

4. Oct 28, 2014 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. It's analytic at every point except z=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted