Determining compound from IR and mass spec

• Thread starter mimibajiduh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir Mass
In summary: IR scan shows that the compound has an NH and a CH group, and from the mass spec scan it can be determined that the compound has one Br atom.
mimibajiduh
Using the IR full scan, I have to determine the formula and the structure of the compound. I have attached the scans. Looking at the IR scan, I see that I have an NH and a CH. So is my compound CH2N??

I also have a mass spec output for an unknown organic compound. I have to determine the structure and formula. Using the CxHy rule, I have the following:

42= C3H6
50= C4H2
67= C5H7
81= C6H9
93= C7H9
107= C8H10
138= C11H6

I am not sure what to do after this...do I just write the formulas together and that is my answer??

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 635
  • m.jpg
    m.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 567
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 562
Physics news on Phys.org
mimibajiduh said:
Using the IR full scan, I have to determine the formula and the structure of the compound. I have attached the scans. Looking at the IR scan, I see that I have an NH and a CH. So is my compound CH2N??

I also have a mass spec output for an unknown organic compound. I have to determine the structure and formula. Using the CxHy rule, I have the following:

42= C3H6
50= C4H2
67= C5H7
81= C6H9
93= C7H9
107= C8H10
138= C11H6

I am not sure what to do after this...do I just write the formulas together and that is my answer??

Start by looking at this, as it seems that you lack some fundmental knowledge about how mass spec works. http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/Spectrpy/MassSpec/masspec1.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so i went to the link and i still think i did everything right. what am i doing wrong?? :(

Hi mimibajiduh, I looked at the spectra and they seem peculiar. Do they correspong to the same compound or to two different ones?

It is definite that the mass spectrum gives clue that the compound contains bromine - it follows from the fact that in nature Br is represented by two isotopes Br-79 and Br-81 respectively in almost 50:50 abundance (thus its averaged molar mass given in Periodic Table is 79,9). So if a substance contains one Br atom in its mass spectrum some of the peaks will go in pairs of pretty the same intensity and separated by 2 m/z units - just what you have at 81, 93, 107 and 138 (these correspond to molecules containing Br-81). The mass of molecule without a Br atom would then be 138-81=57 wuala! It is just what as we have in the spectrum :).

oh sorry for not mentioning it in my original post, they are two different ones.

Well it is kind of impossible to guess the structures then - see yourself: IR spectrum only gives us information about functional groups in the compound 1 and we can say that it has either NH or OH group (both give a broad peak at 3500-3000 cm-1) and from mass spectrum of the compound 2 we can say that it contains one Br atom and that is all. I hardly believe that there are people in the world who could tell what are these compound basing on spectra you give, but good luck anyway ))

i have attached 2 more scans of the rest of the info i have for the IR. i don't know if it will help or not.

Attachments

• h.jpg
    h.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 541
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 514

1. How do IR and mass spec work together to determine a compound?

IR (infrared) spectroscopy measures the absorption of infrared light by a molecule, providing information about its functional groups. Mass spectrometry measures the mass-to-charge ratio of ions, allowing for the determination of a compound's molecular weight and structural information about its fragments. Together, these techniques can provide complementary information to identify a compound.

2. What is the difference between IR and mass spec?

The main difference between IR and mass spec is the type of information they provide. IR gives information about a compound's functional groups, while mass spec gives information about its molecular weight and structural fragments.

3. Can IR and mass spec be used to determine the purity of a compound?

Yes, both IR and mass spec can be used for purity determination. IR can identify impurities based on changes in the absorption spectra, while mass spec can detect impurities based on their different molecular weights.

4. Are there any limitations to using IR and mass spec for compound determination?

Yes, there are some limitations to consider. IR may not be able to differentiate between compounds with similar functional groups, and mass spec may not be able to distinguish between compounds with similar molecular weights. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as instrument calibration and sample preparation.

5. How can I interpret the results from IR and mass spec to determine a compound?

Interpreting the results from IR and mass spec requires knowledge of the principles and techniques of each method, as well as the functional groups and structural fragments commonly seen in organic compounds. It is important to compare the results to known standards and to consider any limitations or potential sources of error.