What is the Structure of the Unknown Compound Based on NMR and IR Spectroscopy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
samdiah
Messages
80
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have attached the IR and NMR spectrum from lab. I have determined that there was a nitrogen present in the compound. There was no sulfur or halogens. The molecular weight was 138. The compound was solid and yellow color. It had a melting point between 124 and 134 C.


Homework Equations



I have read 2 chapters on NMR and IR, but the compound is so confusing. It has peaks everywhere. I would appreciate any kind of help.


The Attempt at a Solution



After looking at various websites and books, I think I have an amide group, a carboxyl acid group and aromatic ring. I have no clue if that's even right and how on Earth I am going to draw the structure of compound. What does the UV stand for?

Appreciate any kind of help. I have spent weeks on this and its due Monday. Thanks.
 
Attachments
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 523
Physics news on Phys.org