Determining Ground State of an Atom: Pauli, Hunds, Coloumb's Rules

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
ghostbuster25
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
im looking for the 3 principals i need to be employ in determining the electronic structure of the ground state of an atom

Ive got Paulis exclusion principle where no 2 electrons in an atom can occupy the same quantum state and hunds rule of the total spin of the electrons always has it maximum possible value...butam a bit stuck on the third.

i guess I am leaning towards the electrostatic potential energy of the electron and the proton...would this be right? I am thinking coloumbs rule would be the one but just want to double check

many thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
i don't think so because I've been already told its Pauli's principle and Hund's rule. In the text I am giving it doesn't mention the 3 Hunds rules just the one i stated above. Hmmm i thought i had it solved with the columbs law but am not too sure now ha ha
 
Could it be the principle that states of lowest energy fill first?
 
yer that's what i have been leaning towards after reading a bit more