1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining if the series converges

1. Mar 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    n=1∑[itex]\sqrt[n]{3}[/itex]*[itex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm thinking that for this series I should use the nth term divergence test.
    I know that the limit of each of them is 1, and the whole series converges to 1, but I can't remember why the limits are 1. Could someone please remind me? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your typesetting is messed up. Is this the series you are evaluating?

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \sqrt[n]{3} \sqrt[n]{n}$$

If so, you are correct that ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{3} = 1## and ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{n} = 1##.

As you said, this implies that ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{3} \sqrt[n]{n} = 1## (the limit of a product is equal to the product of the limits - it's a good idea to check the proof of this if you aren't sure).

What does that imply about the limit of the series?

4. Mar 13, 2014 #3
    Sorry,that is what I meant! Since the limit doesn't approach 0 it diverges? But why does the limit equal 1 when you plug in infinity?

5. Mar 13, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Regarding why ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{3} = 1##:

First note that ##\sqrt[n]{3} = 3^{1/n}##. Consider the log of this expression: ##\log(3^{1/n})##. Can you find the limit the log as ##n \rightarrow \infty##? Can you use the result to find the original limit?

6. Mar 13, 2014 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right. The terms do not approach zero, so the series diverges.
    See my previous post for a suggestion for ##\lim_{n \rightarrow 1} \sqrt[n]{3}##. The other limit, ##\lim_{n \rightarrow 1} \sqrt[n]{n}##, can be handled similarly but with a slight complication.

7. Mar 13, 2014 #6
    I'm sorry, I still don't quite understand what you mean. I get how you're rewriting the square root, but I got a little lost with the logs.

8. Mar 13, 2014 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I claim that ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \log a_n = \log \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n## for any convergent sequence of positive values ##a_n##. This is because ##\log## is a continuous function. Let's assume we know this result for now - if you're not sure why it's true, we can come back to it later.

So in your case, ##a_n = \sqrt[n]{3}##, and we have what I will call Equation 1:
    $$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \log \sqrt[n]{3} = \log \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{3}$$
    Working with the left hand side, we have ##\log \sqrt[n]{3} = \log (3^{1/n}) = \frac{1}{n} \log 3## by the basic property of logarithms that ##\log x^y = y \log x##.

Now take the limit of that expression: ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \log{3} = ???## You should be able to get a numerical answer. Once you have that answer, do you see how Equation 1 allows you to find ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{3}##?

9. Mar 13, 2014 #8
    Okay!! Thanks, I think I get it! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted