Determining if the series converges

• Thread starter jdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the attempt at a solution uses the nth term divergence test to find the limits of the series. The limits are 1 and the series diverges.
jdawg

Homework Statement

n=1∑[itex]\sqrt[n]{3}[/itex]*[itex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that for this series I should use the nth term divergence test.
I know that the limit of each of them is 1, and the whole series converges to 1, but I can't remember why the limits are 1. Could someone please remind me? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your typesetting is messed up. Is this the series you are evaluating?

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \sqrt[n]{3} \sqrt[n]{n}$$

If so, you are correct that ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{3} = 1## and ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{n} = 1##.

As you said, this implies that ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{3} \sqrt[n]{n} = 1## (the limit of a product is equal to the product of the limits - it's a good idea to check the proof of this if you aren't sure).

What does that imply about the limit of the series?

Sorry,that is what I meant! Since the limit doesn't approach 0 it diverges? But why does the limit equal 1 when you plug in infinity?

Regarding why ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{3} = 1##:

First note that ##\sqrt[n]{3} = 3^{1/n}##. Consider the log of this expression: ##\log(3^{1/n})##. Can you find the limit the log as ##n \rightarrow \infty##? Can you use the result to find the original limit?

jdawg said:
Sorry,that is what I meant! Since the limit doesn't approach 0 it diverges?
Yes, that's right. The terms do not approach zero, so the series diverges.
But why does the limit equal 1 when you plug in infinity?
See my previous post for a suggestion for ##\lim_{n \rightarrow 1} \sqrt[n]{3}##. The other limit, ##\lim_{n \rightarrow 1} \sqrt[n]{n}##, can be handled similarly but with a slight complication.

I'm sorry, I still don't quite understand what you mean. I get how you're rewriting the square root, but I got a little lost with the logs.

I claim that ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \log a_n = \log \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n## for any convergent sequence of positive values ##a_n##. This is because ##\log## is a continuous function. Let's assume we know this result for now - if you're not sure why it's true, we can come back to it later.

So in your case, ##a_n = \sqrt[n]{3}##, and we have what I will call Equation 1:
$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \log \sqrt[n]{3} = \log \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{3}$$
Working with the left hand side, we have ##\log \sqrt[n]{3} = \log (3^{1/n}) = \frac{1}{n} \log 3## by the basic property of logarithms that ##\log x^y = y \log x##.

Now take the limit of that expression: ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \log{3} = ?## You should be able to get a numerical answer. Once you have that answer, do you see how Equation 1 allows you to find ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{3}##?

Okay! Thanks, I think I get it! :)

What is the purpose of determining if a series converges?

The purpose of determining if a series converges is to determine if the infinite sum of the terms in the series has a finite value. This is important in mathematical and scientific calculations, as well as in understanding the behavior of functions and sequences.

What does it mean for a series to converge?

A series converges if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the terms in the series become smaller and smaller, and the sum approaches a fixed number. This is in contrast to a divergent series, where the sum of the terms either approaches infinity or does not approach any value at all.

What are some common tests used to determine if a series converges?

Some common tests used to determine if a series converges include the comparison test, the ratio test, and the integral test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series, using the ratio of consecutive terms, or evaluating the integral of the terms in the series, respectively.

How can I tell if a series converges or diverges without using a test?

In some cases, the behavior of a series may be obvious without using a specific test. For example, a geometric series with a common ratio less than one will always converge, while a harmonic series will always diverge. Additionally, if the terms in a series do not approach zero, the series will likely diverge.

What can cause a series to fail a convergence test?

A series may fail a convergence test for various reasons, such as having terms that do not approach zero, or having a common ratio or integral that does not satisfy the conditions for convergence. It is also possible for a series to appear to converge, but in reality, have a limit of infinity or negative infinity.