Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Determining Ion Speed in a Farnsworth Fusion Ion Collider

Tags:
  1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    I'm looking to figure out how fast ions are travelling in the fusor I have access to. The chamber is roughly 12-14" long, with a central electrode charged to 75 kV and 5 mA. Is the type of ion relevant? What would I have to do to figure out how fast the ions are moving?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Singly charged ions will get a kinetic energy of 75 keV. Doubly charged ions get 150 keV and so on. That is the beauty of electric potentials and electronvolt, you don't need any other numbers.

You can calculate the speed with classical mechanics.

Don't use the thing if you don't have the required knowledge to do it safely.

4. Apr 19, 2016 #3
    The ion collider is operated by the Northwest Nuclear Consortium, with plenty of safety measures in place.

5. Apr 19, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The fact that a bunch of high school students can put up a web page does not mean that they understand nuclear or electrical safety.

6. Apr 19, 2016 #5

berkeman

Thread closed for Moderation...

7. Apr 19, 2016 #6

berkeman

Thread will remain closed. If you have to ask about this, you do not have the background to do it safely. That is against the PF rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook