1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining magnetic field around two parallel wires

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    Two long, straight wires are separated by 0.12 m. The wires carry currents of 3.5 A in opposite directions, as the drawing indicates.

(a) Find the magnitude of the net magnetic field at the point A.

(b) Find the magnitude of the net magnetic field at the point B.

/Users/ashleyhoward/Documents/21_56.gif

here is what i did
    at point b, both wires B field point into the page (because of RHR) so i find the Bfield of each wire using B=((4(pi)x10e-7)x-3.5)/2x.06 =-3.67x10e-5 the other wire is the same mag. only positive because it is in the opposite direction. since both B fields ar in the same direction at point b i would just add the two together and that would give me the B field at that point. but this was incorrect. i would then do the same thing at point a but i wanted to get point b correct first. what have i done wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you do not pay attention to where you are posting question like this, you may not be able to post on here that much longer.

Zz.

4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    what do you mean?

5. Feb 11, 2008 #4
    oh i see what you mean now. i didn't realize there was a homework section

6. Feb 11, 2008 #5
    .....but can anyone help me with this problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?