Determining net force and acceleration

In summary: It's starting to make more sense now. So essentially, deceleration is just a more general term that encompasses both negative acceleration and slowing down in everyday language, but in physics, we use the term negative acceleration to describe a decrease in speed.
Shaye
Homework Statement
The diagram (attached) shows a parachutist of mass 82 kg falling towards
the Earth. In each case, determine the net force and the acceleration
of the parachutist
Relevant Equations
F=Ma
Hi All,

Please see attached photo of the question.

It is asking for net force and acceleration. Taking the forces acting upwards and downwards on the
parachutist as vectors: for A the net force would be 800-300=500; B would be 0 and C; would that be 800-1500=-700? And if so would that imply that this is a negative acceleration of -8.5ms^-2 or is this a deceleration?

Thanks

Attachments

• Net Force and Acceleration.jpg
    Net Force and Acceleration.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 386
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Shaye said:
Homework Statement:: The diagram (attached) shows a parachutist of mass 82 kg falling towards
the Earth. In each case, determine the net force and the acceleration
of the parachutist
Relevant Equations:: F=Ma

Hi All,

Please see attached photo of the question.

It is asking for net force and acceleration. Taking the forces acting upwards and downwards on the
parachutist as vectors: for A the net force would be 800-300=500; B would be 0 and C; would that be 800-1500=-700? And if so would that imply that this is a negative acceleration of -8.5ms^-2 or is this a deceleration?

Thanks
Welcome to PhysicsForums :smile:

You are on the right track (although I would include units with each of your equations and answers).

Think about what's going on in each of those 3 stages:
  1. Initially the force of gravity is greater than air resistance, so the parachutist is speeding up in the fall
  2. At terminal velocity, the forces of gravity and air resistance are equal
  3. Right after pulling the ripcord, the force up is greater than the force of gravity down, so the parachutist decelerates
  4. (Eventually the parachutist+parachute reach a new, slower terminal velocity)
Makes sense?

Likes Shaye
Shaye said:
Taking the forces acting upwards and downwards on the
parachutist as vectors
I think you mean "taking down as positive for forces and accelerations ".
Shaye said:
would that imply that this is a negative acceleration of -8.5ms^-2 or is this a deceleration?
Since you have taken down as positive, this is an upward acceleration.
The term 'deceleration' is not much used in physics. In every day usage it means the speed is decreasing, i.e. the velocity and acceleration have opposite signs. So, yes, it is also a deceleration.

Likes Shaye
berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums :smile:

You are on the right track (although I would include units with each of your equations and answers).

Think about what's going on in each of those 3 stages:
  1. Initially the force of gravity is greater than air resistance, so the parachutist is speeding up in the fall
  2. At terminal velocity, the forces of gravity and air resistance are equal
  3. Right after pulling the ripcord, the force up is greater than the force of gravity down, so the parachutist decelerates
  4. (Eventually the parachutist+parachute reach a new, slower terminal velocity)
Makes sense?

Thanks! My point of confusion has always been around the difference between deceleration and negative acceleration. Deceleration as you said is slowing down and negative acceleration just depends on what we take as positive or negative direction I guess

haruspex said:
I think you mean "taking down as positive for forces and accelerations ".

Since you have taken down as positive, this is an upward acceleration.
The term 'deceleration' is not much used in physics. In every day usage it means the speed is decreasing, i.e. the velocity and acceleration have opposite signs. So, yes, it is also a deceleration.
Cool! Thanks for this. Always needed to clarify in my head deceleration and negative acceleration

Shaye said:
... My point of confusion has always been around the difference between deceleration and negative acceleration.
The direction of the net force respect to the existing direction of movement is the key.
Negative or positive is just a convention of signs that you are free to establish.
Please, see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Mechanics/motgraph.html#c2 :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Shaye and berkeman
Likes Lnewqban and berkeman

What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it. It is the vector sum of all the forces.

How do you determine net force?

To determine net force, you need to identify all the individual forces acting on an object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use vector addition to find the net force.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is a vector quantity and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the relationship between net force and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that if the net force increases, the acceleration will also increase, and vice versa.