Determining Order and Rate Constant for Ozone Reaction at 298 K

  • Thread starter Thread starter plexus0208
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
plexus0208
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In a reaction between ozone and an organic species, the observed rate was found to depend only on the concentration of ozone at 298 K. Using the data below, determine the order of this reaction and the rate constant (include units).
Time (s) |Ozone conc (molecules/cm3)
0 | 4.311×1015
50 | 2.890×1015
100 | 2.036×1015
150 | 1.435×1015
200 | 0.995×1015
250 | 0.689×1015

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


Is it first order? I plotted the graph of ln[O3] vs. time on excel and that was a straight line.
Also to find k, do I use ln[A]t = ln[A]o - kt? If I use this equation, which value do I use for [A]t?--because the value of k differs slightly for different values.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When contemplating whether the reaction is first order or not, I would advise taking a graphical approach. Try to imagine what a graph would look like if the line had an equation of a first order reaction versus a second order reaction. Perhaps you may even want to try looking at the graphic behaviour of higher order reactions although the first two may suffice.

Now, when you are determining the value of [A]t, you have to understand that any point on the line works. "HOWEVER," you must use a point on the graph that you have created. Don't forget that when you are creating a line of best fit, you are assuming only the points on that line are relevant, not the points away from the line that helped form it.