Kinetics Question: Rate of Reaction at 0.503 M

  • Thread starter Thread starter davev
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kinetics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
davev
Messages
31
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider the following reaction at 282 K.

2 A + 2 B → C + D​

where rate = rate=k[A]2. An experiment was performed for a certain number of seconds where [A]0 = 0.000303 M and 0 = 1.63 M. A plot of ln[A] vs time had a slope of -7.27. What will the rate of this reaction be when [A] = = 0.503 M?

Rate (M/s)=

The correct answer is 0.348 M/s.

Homework Equations


I'm not sure where to start here, but I tried using these equations, because I was given the slope, and the slope for ln[A] vs time is given in a first order reaction:

ln[A]t = -kt + ln[A]o
Rate = k[A]
k = -slope


The Attempt at a Solution


Basically I just tried plugging into k = 7.27 into rate=k[A]2 were [A] and are both 0.503 M.

Thank you for the help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the values of [A] and at the beginning of the experiment. From the specified stoichiometry, how much do you think the concentration of is going to change relative to its initial value during the experiment? Will this really be significant?

Chet
 
davev said:
Oh, do I have to use an ICE table?
I don't know what an ICE table is, but, whatever it is, you don't need to use it on this problem.

Chet
 
Chestermiller said:
I don't know what an ICE table is, but, whatever it is, you don't need to use it on this problem.

Chet

ICE as in initial concentration, change in concentration, and end concentration.

How do you solve this problem?
 
davev said:
ICE as in initial concentration, change in concentration, and end concentration.

How do you solve this problem?
The solution to this problem starts out by reconsidering the questions I asked in post #2. Let me ask in another way. If B had reacted with all the A in the experiment, what would its final concentration have been? What percentage change would this have made in the concentration of B?

Chet