1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the focal length of a compound lens

1. May 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A biconvex lens, [itex]L_1[/itex], with focal length of magnitude [itex] \left|
    f_1
    \right|
    = 15[/itex] cm is used with a second biconvex lens, [itex]L_2[/itex], with focal length of magnitude [itex] \left|
    f_2
    \right|
    = 25[/itex] cm to form a compound lens system.

If the two lenses are placed in mutual contact what is the focal length of the compound lens?

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\frac{1}{f_c} = \frac{1}{f_1} + \frac{1}{f_2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    It's just a matter of plugging into the above equation.. However do I use the the absolute values or the fact that for a biconvex lens

[itex]
    f_1 > 0[/itex]

and

[itex]
    f_2 < 0[/itex]?

Solution given is [itex] +9.375 [/itex] cm, which suggests you use the absolute values, however I am not fully convinced as it was not specified in the course notes whether to use absolute values or not.

Not using absolute values, I find the focal length to be [itex] +37.5 [/itex] cm

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2
    Sorry, I figured it out... both are biconvex lenses therefore their focal lengths are positive. I believe I got confused with radius' of curvatures.. the solution given is the correct one.

4. May 15, 2016 #3
    For a biconvex lens:

R1 > 0 and R2 < 0 (Radius of curvature)

not the focal lengths... :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted