Determining the Ionic Radii of group 2 metal chlorides?

In summary, the ionic radius of both Fe2+ and Co2+ cations in anhydrous salts can be determined using the high spin state ionic radius due to the octahedral geometry in the crystal lattice and the weak ligand nature of chlorides. This information can be found in the database provided, and it is important to consider the ligand field splitting when determining the appropriate ionic radius for a cation in an octahedral complex.
Jefffff
I need the ionic radius of the cation in the following anhydrous salts:

FeCl2 and CoCl2

Looking at this database: http://www.knowledgedoor.com/2/elements_handbook/shannon-prewitt_effective_ionic_radius_part_2.html

Knowing that the coordination number of both Fe2+ and Co2+ cations is 6, I am unsure which ionic radius I should use as one pertains to a low spin and the other is a high spin state. My guess is that I would use the high spin state ionic radius for both of these cations because it is octahedral in geometry in the crystal lattice, but I'm not too sure.

Any help is appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Jefffff said:
My guess is that I would use the high spin state ionic radius for both of these cations because it is octahedral in geometry in the crystal lattice, but I'm not too sure.
Octahedral geometry by itself doesn't tell you much. (Tetrahedral complexes, on the other hand, are almost always high-spin, because of the small field splitting). For octahedral species, you have to look at where the ligands fall in the spectrochemical series. In this case, chlorides are weak ligands, so the splitting will be fairly small, and you'd expect high-spin complexes.

Likes Jefffff

What is the purpose of determining the ionic radii of group 2 metal chlorides?

The purpose of determining the ionic radii of group 2 metal chlorides is to understand the size and ionic bonding behavior of these compounds. It can also provide insight into their physical and chemical properties.

How are the ionic radii of group 2 metal chlorides determined?

The ionic radii of group 2 metal chlorides are determined through X-ray crystallography, which involves analyzing the diffraction patterns of X-rays passing through a crystal structure of the compound. This allows for precise measurement of the distances between ions in the compound.

What factors can affect the ionic radii of group 2 metal chlorides?

The factors that can affect the ionic radii of group 2 metal chlorides include the nuclear charge, the number of electrons in the outer energy level, and the presence of neighboring ions. These factors can cause variations in the size of the ions, leading to different ionic radii.

What is the trend of ionic radii in group 2 metal chlorides?

The trend of ionic radii in group 2 metal chlorides is that the ionic radii increase as you move down the group. This is due to the increase in the number of energy levels and the shielding of the nuclear charge by inner electrons, leading to larger and less tightly held ions.

How does the ionic radii of group 2 metal chlorides compare to other groups?

The ionic radii of group 2 metal chlorides are larger than those of group 1 metal chlorides, as the outer electrons in group 2 are in a higher energy level and are therefore further from the nucleus. They are also smaller than the ionic radii of group 3 metal chlorides, as the outer electrons in group 3 are in a lower energy level and are therefore closer to the nucleus.