Determining the Isotope Produced by U238 Decay

In summary, the conversation discussed the spontaneous decay of U238 into 2 neutrons and Tellurium136, and the question of what other isotope is produced. The expert confirms that the logic of baryon number and lepton number conservation is correct, and explains that both atomic number and atomic mass must be conserved. They also provide resources for quick references on elements and the chart of nuclides.
Mr.Brown
Hi i got a short question if i know the following

U238 decays spontaniously to 2 Neutrons and Tellurium136 and some other isotope.

How can i tell what other isotop is produced.
Sure i know about baryon number conservation lepton number conservation can i just
say ok i got 238 baryons on the right so my new isotop has to have 100 baryons left and because of lepton number conservation i still need to have the same number of electrons and hence protons ( cause of charge conservation) so that i get Zirconium( 40 Protons and the isotop with mass 100 ) ?
is that the correct logic ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Logic is correct.

Both Z (atomic number) and A (atomic mass) must be conserved.

Start with U-238 (Z=92, A=238) which spontaneously fissions (rather than decay) to

2 n (Z=0, A=1), i.e. no charge

and Te (Z=52, A=136) and X

Z(X) = 92 - 2 (0) - 52 = 40
A(X) = 238 - 2 (1) - 136 = 100

So X must be (Z=40, A=100), and Z = 40 => Zr and Zr100, since A=100.

www.webelements.com is a good site for quick references on elements.

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/ is a good reference on the chart of nuclides. Use zoom feature top right to see details of radionuclides.

cool thanks :)

Related to Determining the Isotope Produced by U238 Decay

1. What is the process of determining the isotope produced by U238 decay?

The process of determining the isotope produced by U238 decay involves analyzing the type and amount of radiation emitted from the decay, as well as the half-life of the isotope. This information can then be compared to known decay pathways of U238 to determine the resulting isotope.

2. How is the type of radiation emitted by U238 decay determined?

The type of radiation emitted by U238 decay can be determined by using a radiation detector, such as a Geiger counter or scintillation counter. These detectors can identify the type of radiation (alpha, beta, or gamma) and measure its intensity.

3. Can the amount of radiation emitted during U238 decay be measured?

Yes, the amount of radiation emitted during U238 decay can be measured using a radiation detector. The intensity of the radiation can be used to calculate the number of decays per second, which is known as the activity of the sample.

4. How does the half-life of U238 play a role in determining the isotope produced?

The half-life of U238 is important in determining the isotope produced because it affects the rate of decay. Isotopes with shorter half-lives will decay more quickly, resulting in a higher activity and higher amount of radiation emitted compared to isotopes with longer half-lives.

5. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of determining the isotope produced by U238 decay?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of determining the isotope produced by U238 decay include the sensitivity and calibration of the radiation detector, the purity of the sample, and potential interferences from other radioactive elements present in the sample.