1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Velocity with Projectile Motion

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok Im having slight trouble with a homework problem. An arrow was launched at an angle, and hit a balloon that was 150m away and 100m up. I used my distance equations along with initial velocity to calculate the two angles that can be used to hit the balloon, but I'm stuck on the next part. I used t=dx/vx to solve for time, and now I need to solve for the velocity when the arrow hits the balloon. I'm sure it's a simple problem but I'm stuck!

Initial Velocity=60m/s
    Distance from 0=150m
    Height in Y direction=100m

I used the four equations above to solve for the angle(s). Then put in the velocities to solve for time. How do I solve for velocity when the arrow hits the balloon?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2
    You know vertical displacement, you can calculate Vy. Vx will remain constant.
  4. Nov 1, 2007 #3
    Should I use Vy=Voy+at?
  5. Nov 1, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, if you know V0y and t, you can use that to solve for Vy. You already know that Vx= V0x.
  6. Nov 1, 2007 #5
    Yes, I know that Vx is constant throughout the motion. So using Vy=Voy+at, I can solve for the velocity at any one point in time at a certain height?
  7. Nov 1, 2007 #6
    You are given height, acceleration due to gravity, and initial Vy. Think of some other s-u-v-a-t formula which could give you final Vy at a given height more quickly!

1. You will get two Vy at a particular heght.. I hope you can decide which one to take!
    2. From Vy thus obtained and Vx, you can, of course, obtain final velocity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?