Determining vertical or horizontal fuel atomized

In summary, The best way to keep fuel atomized for a longer period of time is by using a Dial A Jet, which can be installed in various positions but ideally should be placed between the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position or 12 o'clock position according to the manufacturer, Thunder Products. While some suggest placing it in a more horizontal position, this may not be as effective for atomization due to gravity. However, the overall result may not differ significantly regardless of the placement, as the vacuum quickly sucks in the fuel once it reaches the end of the Dial A Jet. Ultimately, the placement may not make a significant difference in atomization and should be explored further.
justsomedude
I need a little help understanding which method would be the best way to keep fuel atomized for the longest period of time.

I have a CV carb (more specifically a Keihin CV 40) and I'm wanting to install a Dial A Jet.

*If you'd like to learn more about the Dial A Jet, go here, http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm .

Thunder Products (manufacturer of Dial A Jet) recommends putting the Dial A Jet anywhere between the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position and ideally 12 o'clock.

Someone I had a conversation with wanted to place the Dial A Jet in more of a horizontal position (For example 2:30). They said that gravity would assist in a puddling effect if put in a vertical position. In other words a vertical position would allow for worse atomization.

Here is what I'm confused about... If the Dial A Jet is placed in a position, horizontal or vertical, wouldn't the result be the same? It seems as though the vacuum is so quick that the moment the fuel reaches the end of the Dial A Jet it's being sucked into the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Should this be in a different section?

1. How is fuel atomized?

Fuel is atomized by being broken down into very small droplets, typically through the use of a fuel injector. This allows for better mixing with air and more efficient combustion.

2. What is the difference between vertical and horizontal fuel atomization?

The main difference between vertical and horizontal fuel atomization is the direction in which the fuel is sprayed into the combustion chamber. In vertical atomization, the fuel is sprayed in a downward direction, while in horizontal atomization it is sprayed horizontally.

3. Which type of fuel atomization is more efficient?

It is difficult to determine which type of fuel atomization is more efficient as it depends on various factors such as the type of engine, fuel properties, and combustion chamber design. Both vertical and horizontal atomization can be equally efficient if optimized for the specific engine and conditions.

4. How do you determine the type of fuel atomization needed for an engine?

The type of fuel atomization needed for an engine is determined by considering factors such as the engine design, fuel properties, and desired performance. This can be determined through computer simulations, engine testing, and analysis of previous engine designs.

5. What are the advantages of vertical fuel atomization?

Vertical fuel atomization can have advantages such as better air-fuel mixing, improved combustion efficiency, and reduced emissions. It can also be more suitable for certain engine designs, such as those with a vertical cylinder orientation.