Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining vertical or horizontal fuel atomized

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1
    I need a little help understanding which method would be the best way to keep fuel atomized for the longest period of time.

I have a CV carb (more specifically a Keihin CV 40) and I'm wanting to install a Dial A Jet.

*If you'd like to learn more about the Dial A Jet, go here, http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm [Broken].

Thunder Products (manufacturer of Dial A Jet) recommends putting the Dial A Jet anywhere between the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position and ideally 12 o'clock.

Someone I had a conversation with wanted to place the Dial A Jet in more of a horizontal position (For example 2:30). They said that gravity would assist in a puddling effect if put in a vertical position. In other words a vertical position would allow for worse atomization.

Here is what I'm confused about... If the Dial A Jet is placed in a position, horizontal or vertical, wouldn't the result be the same? It seems as though the vacuum is so quick that the moment the fuel reaches the end of the Dial A Jet it's being sucked into the engine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2
    Should this be in a different section?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook