Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal & vertical angle of antenna beams & UE position

1. Apr 10, 2015 #1
    Hi this is my first post here.
    Sorry for this naive question xD

I want to calculate antenna gain for which I need the horizontal Φ and vertical θ angle of an antenna beam.
    The formula for gain is.
    ASWwpua.png
    is it ok to convert the rectangular coordinates of antenna into spherical coordinates and compute Φ & θ using standard equations (Cartesian to Spherical) cvQIIvC.png
    Similarly if there is a user in the cell can I calculate Φ & θ of user position, and then compute the relative difference and utilize it in the gain equation. i.e. KJ8RAWP.png .

Moreover is it also possible that i consider them in-terms of vectors and use inner product to compute the angles Φ & θ? e.g:
    mywu4Qm.png
    and their inner product which can be, eBZ7vzN.png .

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Thank you in advance. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2015 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi and welcome to PF. I'm afraid it's not at all clear to me what situation you are analyzing, what you are trying to find, and how you are approaching the problem. Please explain your problem as though you are talking to someone (everyone here at PF in fact) who doesn't yet know what it is. And where did you get the first two equations? These do not look like general gain equations to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook