Horizontal & vertical angle of antenna beams & UE position

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of antenna gain, specifically the need for the horizontal Φ and vertical θ angles of an antenna beam. The formula for gain is also mentioned. The question is asked if it is possible to convert rectangular coordinates of the antenna into spherical coordinates and use standard equations to compute Φ and θ. The possibility of calculating the positions of users and utilizing the relative difference in the gain equation is also brought up. Finally, the use of vectors and inner product to compute the angles Φ and θ is mentioned. The speaker asks for help and clarification on the problem.
Aliakber2k10
Hi this is my first post here.
Sorry for this naive question xD

I want to calculate antenna gain for which I need the horizontal Φ and vertical θ angle of an antenna beam.
The formula for gain is.
ASWwpua.png

is it ok to convert the rectangular coordinates of antenna into spherical coordinates and compute Φ & θ using standard equations (Cartesian to Spherical)
cvQIIvC.png

Similarly if there is a user in the cell can I calculate Φ & θ of user position, and then compute the relative difference and utilize it in the gain equation. i.e.
KJ8RAWP.png

Moreover is it also possible that i consider them in-terms of vectors and use inner product to compute the angles Φ & θ? e.g:
mywu4Qm.png

and their inner product which can be,
eBZ7vzN.png

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Thank you in advance. :)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF. I'm afraid it's not at all clear to me what situation you are analyzing, what you are trying to find, and how you are approaching the problem. Please explain your problem as though you are talking to someone (everyone here at PF in fact) who doesn't yet know what it is. And where did you get the first two equations? These do not look like general gain equations to me.

1. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical angles of antenna beams?

The horizontal angle of an antenna beam refers to the direction in which the beam is pointing, while the vertical angle refers to the elevation or tilt of the beam. This means that the horizontal angle determines the side-to-side coverage of the antenna, while the vertical angle determines the up-and-down coverage.

2. How are horizontal and vertical angles of antenna beams determined?

The horizontal and vertical angles of antenna beams are typically determined by the design and placement of the antenna. These angles are usually fixed and can be adjusted through mechanical or electronic means. For example, a directional antenna can be physically rotated to change the horizontal angle, while a phased array antenna can electronically change the vertical angle.

3. How does the horizontal angle of an antenna beam affect reception for a UE?

The horizontal angle of an antenna beam can greatly impact the reception for a UE (user equipment). If the UE is located within the beam's coverage area, it will experience stronger signal strength and better reception. However, if the UE is located outside of the beam's coverage area, it will likely experience weaker signal strength and poor reception.

4. Why is the vertical angle of an antenna beam important for cellular networks?

The vertical angle of an antenna beam is important for cellular networks because it allows for better control over coverage and interference. By adjusting the vertical angle, network operators can shape the coverage area of an antenna beam and avoid overlapping with neighboring cells. This helps to improve network capacity and reduce interference, resulting in better overall performance for users.

5. Can the horizontal and vertical angles of an antenna beam be changed dynamically?

In some cases, the horizontal and vertical angles of an antenna beam can be changed dynamically. This is commonly seen in adaptive antenna systems, where the antenna can adjust its beam direction and shape in real-time based on the location of UEs and the surrounding environment. This allows for more efficient use of the antenna and can improve network performance.