What causes Dettol to turn white in water?

• Thread starter Titania
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, when water is added to Dettol, it creates an emulsion that appears milky white due to the scattering of light from the suspended oil droplets. This is because most of the light seen has not passed through the droplets, which contain molecules that absorb light. This phenomenon is not affected by the chemical makeup of Dettol.
Titania
Yesterday, when I added some water into the dettol, it immediately turned milky white. I was quite curious. What makes it to react to turn a yellowish liquid to a milky emulsion?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dettol is a clear liquid that gets its color from the frequencies of light that can and cannot passing through it. Mixing dettol and water creates an emulsion—a solution where small droplets of the oil are suspended in the water (the comparison to milk is apt as milk is also an emulsion of fats and proteins in water). These emulsions get their color from the scattering of light from the droplets. Here, absorption of light plays less of a role because most of the light you see has not passed through the droplets (which presumably contain the molecules that absorb light).

Likes Titania
Was yesterday the first time you observed this?

(Mind you today 5 minutes ago is the first time I know exactly what Dettol is - chemically).

Likes Titania

1. Why does Dettol turn white in water?

Dettol contains a chemical called chloroxylenol, which is soluble in water. When mixed with water, the chloroxylenol molecules aggregate and form a white emulsion, giving the appearance of the Dettol turning white.

2. Is it safe to use Dettol when it turns white in water?

Yes, it is safe to use Dettol even when it turns white in water. The white emulsion is just a visual change and does not affect the effectiveness of the product.

3. Can I use Dettol that has turned white in water?

Yes, you can still use Dettol that has turned white in water. The white emulsion is just a visual change and does not affect the effectiveness of the product. However, it is recommended to use Dettol in its original form for optimal results.

4. How long does it take for Dettol to turn white in water?

The time it takes for Dettol to turn white in water can vary depending on factors such as the temperature of the water, the amount of Dettol used, and the concentration of the solution. Generally, it can take a few seconds to a few minutes for Dettol to turn white in water.

5. Can I prevent Dettol from turning white in water?

No, you cannot prevent Dettol from turning white in water. It is a natural chemical reaction that occurs when Dettol is mixed with water. However, you can minimize the amount of Dettol that turns white by using less of the product and using it in cooler water.