Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Device That Would Be Useful on Dune

1. Apr 14, 2017 #1

BillTre

Science Advisor

Researchers from Berkeley and MIT have made a clever solar powered device that can extract water from low humidity desert air.

Good for arid places, like Dune!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If we are anyway talking fictional planets I want to point out that Luke Skywalker spent his childhood as a moisture farmer on Tatooine.

4. Apr 20, 2017 #3
    And later marketed the "Aunt Varoo Weight Loss Program" on late night TV.

5. Apr 20, 2017 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The marketing spin annoys me here. They put the words "solar powered" on it as a way to solve the high energy use problem by pretending it doesn't exist and then use an extremely inefficient thermoelectric cooler as the condenser.

The principle of concentrating the moisture by absorbing it at night and releasing it during the day is sound, but any Boy Scout can do it with a tarp and a shovel. In both cases, it'll keep you alive in an emergency, but the lack of continuous output makes it infeasible for widescale use.

6. Apr 21, 2017 #5

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

A few questions for you as an aside to this article. As a mechanical engineer (and hence someone who has thought about the technology behind solar power, I presume):

1. How familiar are you with the latest technological developments with respect to solar power?

2. What do you see is the primary technical challenges with solar power?

3. In your opinion, what do you think are the prospects of expanding the use of solar power at a more industrial scale?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted