Device to measure different spectrum of UVs (UVA and UVB)

In summary, a device has been developed that is able to accurately measure both UVA and UVB rays in different spectrums. This device can be used to determine the levels of UV exposure and the potential risks associated with it. The device is compact and portable, making it a convenient tool for individuals and professionals, such as dermatologists, to monitor UV levels and protect against potential skin damage. With its advanced technology and precise measurements, this device is a valuable resource in promoting safe sun exposure and preventing harmful effects of UV rays.
Trainee Engineering
Hi all,

I'd like to know if there's a reliable tool that can measure UVA and UVB concurrently at regular interval and record it. Or if can't record, then at least can be connected to a computer or network and will send the readings at regular interval.
or perhaps anybody can point me to a website or data sheet that records UVA/UVB intensity everyday for whole year in certain latitude/longitude? preferably the interval is 30 mins. right now, I'm in equator (Singapore)

Thanks

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Various photodiodes can do that, with or without filter in front of them. SiC devices don't react to visible light, so they work nicely without filter. Connect it to a power supply and a measurement device with a computer interface and you can measure it as often as you want. There are probably also devices that combine everything in one piece.

mfb said:
Various photodiodes can do that, with or without filter in front of them. SiC devices don't react to visible light, so they work nicely without filter. Connect it to a power supply and a measurement device with a computer interface and you can measure it as often as you want. There are probably also devices that combine everything in one piece.

thanks for the reply. can you explain more about this? how does one build this device? is this kind of device easy to build?
thanks

This
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JOR0JO/?tag=pfamazon01-20
gives you an idea of cost of these devices. Based on your posts, I would guess this is a project you should, and simply purchase.

You have already asked a lot of questions about UVA and UVB and suggested inappropriate or potentially damaging uses.

I'm trying to help, not criticize. But some of your UVA/UVB ideas are not sound and seem to be based on your perceptions rather than real data. Over exposure to UVB causes skin cancer and precancerous lesions that will require possibly expensive treatments for a chronic skin problem.
See this about actinic keratosis:
http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/actinic-keratosis

PS: you get sufficient Vitamin D (circa 800 IU ) from standing outside on a clear day in the direct sunshine at almost any time, for about 10 minutes or less - in a short sleeve shirt. There are also lots of foods that have either added Vit. D (example: Vit D added to dairy products) or contain Vit. D naturally - (example: mushrooms)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
jim mcnamara said:
This
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JOR0JO/?tag=pfamazon01-20
gives you an idea of cost of these devices. Based on your posts, I would guess this is a project you should, and simply purchase.

You have already asked a lot of questions about UVA and UVB and suggested inappropriate or potentially damaging uses.

I'm trying to help, not criticize. But some of your UVA/UVB ideas are not sound and seem to be based on your perceptions rather than real data. Over exposure to UVB causes skin cancer and precancerous lesions that will require possibly expensive treatments for a chronic skin problem.
See this about actinic keratosis:
http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/actinic-keratosis

PS: you get sufficient Vitamin D (circa 800 IU ) from standing outside on a clear day in the direct sunshine at almost any time, for about 10 minutes or less - in a short sleeve shirt. There are also lots of foods that have either added Vit. D (example: Vit D added to dairy products) or contain Vit. D naturally - (example: mushrooms)

I see. correct, I got this idea about UVA/UVB measurement because of my recent lab test suggesting I got Vit D deficiency. I was prepared to schedule a regular visit to the beach to start sunbathing (a bit overkill perhaps), but then, it struck me, I have a section of open space in my balcony that I usually use to hang my clothes during dry season, so, I want to confirm first just how much UVA/UVB in said space, and then, I also plan to put a screen to handle rains/hails in that open space, but still able to reap the benefit of UVA/UVB disinfectant properties, plus my own personal "beach". my doctor said that vit D supplement is not recommended since in the long run, it can lead to vit D overdose, but with sun bathing, our body has the ability to auto regulate the production of vit D, so, there's no risk of overdose. just thinking for the future here.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a device to measure different spectrum of UVs?

A device to measure different spectrum of UVs is a scientific instrument that is used to detect and measure the amount of UVA and UVB radiation present in a given environment. These devices are commonly used in research, medical, and industrial settings to monitor UV exposure levels.

2. How does a device to measure different spectrum of UVs work?

These devices work by using specialized sensors and filters to detect and measure different wavelengths of UV radiation. The sensors convert the UV light into an electrical signal, which is then analyzed and displayed on a screen or recorded for further analysis.

3. What are the benefits of using a device to measure different spectrum of UVs?

There are several benefits to using a device to measure different spectrum of UVs. These include monitoring and controlling UV exposure levels in industrial and medical settings, assessing the effectiveness of sunscreen and protective clothing, and gathering data for research on the effects of UV radiation on human health and the environment.

4. Are there different types of devices to measure different spectrum of UVs?

Yes, there are various types of devices to measure different spectrum of UVs, each with its own specific features and functions. Some examples include handheld UV meters, UV dosimeters, and spectrophotometers. The type of device needed will depend on the specific application and the level of accuracy required.

5. How accurate are devices that measure different spectrum of UVs?

The accuracy of these devices can vary, depending on the type and quality of the instrument. Some devices may have a margin of error of a few percentage points, while others may be more precise. It is important to calibrate and regularly maintain these devices to ensure accurate and reliable measurements.