Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalising an n*n matrix analytically

1. Jun 14, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone
    I am trying to diagonalise a (2n+1)x(2n+1) matrix which has diagonal terms A_ll = (-n+l)^2 and other non vanishing terms are A_l(l+1) = A_(l+1)l = constant.
    Is there any way I can solve it for general n without having to use any numerical methods.
    I remember once a professor diagonalised such a matrix for a fixed value of n using some tricks, but I can't remember how he did that. Can anyone help me out here?

Any help is appreciated. Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The Gauß algorithm should need about 4n steps (+- a few), and you can do it analytically and see if the result has some reasonable expression (but even if it does not, you get an analytic result).

4. Jun 15, 2015 #3
    Hi ...
    I have managed to find an iterative expression to solve for the eigenvalues. But without selecting a fixed value of n I can't do anything with it. Any suggestions how I can go ahead with it.
    Thanks mfb

5. Jun 15, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Finding the eigenvalues for a matrix is equivalent to solving the n degree eigenvalue equation. There is NO algebraic method for exactly solving a general polynomial of degree 5 or higher.

6. Jun 16, 2015 #5
    Are you assuming that ##A_{j,j+1}= A_{j+1,j} = a ## for all ##j##? (i.e.> that ##a## is the same for all ##j##). If so, then the case when ##a=1## and all other entries are ##0## is the case of the so-called free Jacobi matrix. Its spectrum is computed in terms of Chebyshev polynomials. Your case then can be obtained by a simple affine transformation.

Even if your ##a##s are different, look up Jacobi matrices and orthogonal polynomials.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook